1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer - Texarkana, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, May 11, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Seeking Sports Writer

Date Posted: May 08, 2015
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000

Description:

The Texarkana Gazette, a 27,000 circulation daily covering portions of Texas and Arkansas, is looking for enterprising and hard working sports writer. Primary responsibilities are covering local and regional high school sports. Some college and pro coverage is possible. Most work is in the field, although office work is rotated through the sports staff. Schedule is irregular. Evening and weekend work is required. This is a writing position with no page make-up involved. Applicant must have reliable transportation, be able to provide a certificate of insurance and have a good driving record. A border city on the state line of Arkansas and Texas, the Gazette offers applicants unique opportunities in sports coverage, including sports features, advances, statistical profiles, non-traditional sports, and game coverage of sectional rivalries. We will consider a recent graduate. Regional candidates encouraged. Send cover letter, resume and clips to Texarkana Gazette ATTN: Selah Perry, P.O. Box 621, Texarkana, TX, 75504, or e-mail sperry@wehco.com. Please prepare on-line documents as .pdf files.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

$20K? That's all? That's not even $400 a week. I would expect at least $25K for any entry level job in any region.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

No state income tax in Texas... having said that, I do think $20K is low for a daily this size.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You'd have to stick to Coors for sure (yeah, I went there).

JackReacher likes this.
  5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I don't care if there's no state income tax or not. What's that going to save you on $20k? I mean there's no way state income is 5% and even if it was, it would only save you $1,000. There's NO justification in taking a job for $20k, much less an employer trying to justify such shitty pay by telling you that no state income tax is a benefit.

Fuck that bullshit.

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Yeah, but you get to cover sports in TWO states. I mean that has to be something, right?

The bad thing is, that's not even the lowest I've seen recently. Apparently being a sportswriter is getting close to being a minimum wage job.
    Our recent opening they offered between $26-27K and got few candidates willing to interview. One of those things, you get what you pay for, and the lower the quality, the more people stop caring about your product...then never ending diminishing newspaper cycle.

7. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Actually...if you cover an event in Arkansas, wouldn't you be subject to their state income tax?

8. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Not always. Arkansas and Texas have an agreement for the city of Texarkana, its workers and residents. Basically you just have to file a form saying that's where you live/work and you just have to deal with one state's tax.

Edit: I looked up the agreement: "Special border city exemptions apply for residents of Texarkana, Arkansas and Texarkana, Texas. Texarkana, Arkansas residents are exempt from Arkansas income tax and withholding; however, they must file an income tax return and provide their employers with Form AR-TX in order to certify their residency and exemption from tax withholding.
    Texarkana, Texas residents are exempt from Arkansas income tax and withholding on wages earned in Texarkana, Arkansas but must pay Arkansas tax on wages earned in other parts of Arkansas. Other Texas residents are liable for taxes on all wages earned in any part of Arkansas. "

That is an interesting question though, especially for any of us who have covered Bowl games, pro teams, etc... in other states. How many bothered to comply with the individual state laws? And MLB player's accountants must hate their job.

Draft saved Draft deleted