1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Sumter, S.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by heyuimintojsus, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Company: The Item
    Position:
    Sports reporter wanted
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    March 17, 2008
    Job ID: 882278

Description:
    The Item, a seven-day-a-week daily newspaper located in South Carolina’s Midlands is seeking an energetic sports reporter. We cover 15 area high schools as well as the University of South Carolina and Clemson University. The successful candidate should be familiar with Microsoft Word and AP style. We offer a competitive salary and 40-hour work week, as well as an HMO, life insurance, dental insurance and a 401(k) plan. Please send resumes with clips to Dennis Brunson, Sports Editor, The Item, PO Box 1677, Sumter SC 29151 or email to dennisb@theitem.com. No phone calls please. EOE

Any opinions on this place?

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

The Item Web site isn't always in the best of shape (especially when they list it incorrectly -- the www is generally required), but everyone I've ever met there has come off as extremely friendly.
    Not a bad place for a recent grad, and cost of living is relatively cheap, even by most of SC standards.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Looks like they forgot to include, "Must love American Legion baseball," in the ad. ;D Sumter loves its Legion team, and rightfully so -- the P-15s are a national powerhouse. Some pretty good preps in the area, and from what I've seen of him, Dennis Brunson is a good dude.

Most youngsters could do worse than this.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Dennis Brunson has always come across as a good guy. Not sure ownership is the best on Earth - it's family owned - but luckily for sports, the family is more worried about city politics and not so much about sports.

As Barsuk said, be prepared for an overwhelming dose of Legion baseball in the summer.

You could do worse for first jobs out of school.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Covering legion baseball could suck in some areas of the country. As Sam and Bar said, though, here, it won't be bad. A good chunk of those kids will move on to DI ball.

6. I wish this position was being offered a year from now. It would be a good opportunity.

7. Got offered a job there a few years ago and turned it down. Dennis is good people and Chip Chase was a stand-up guy. You could do a lot worse in South Carolina, but as has already been said, this place isn't that bad.

8. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

Nothing but good things to say about Sumter. Dennis Brunson is a first-class guy, and he does an excellent job with their sports section. He’s been there awhile, and I don’t think he’s going to leave, so you’re going to work for somebody with stability.

Lots of good preps up there, and of course, legion baseball is key during the summer. Sumter usually staffs a lot of USC and Clemson home events, so the opportunity to do that is there, too.

All in all, this is a great job for a recent college grad or somebody a year or two out of college.

9. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Interviewed for a news side job here back in '04. Got offered the job but ended up turning it down. Chip was a good guy, and he personally did most of my interview. Drove me around the town in his SUV, walked me around the courthouse, had me sit in on a budget meeting, etc. They also had me take a relatively tough style test.

Had I been in a different situation, I probably would have taken it. The hangup for me was seeing myself living in Sumter, which is a pretty small town a good way from the interstate. But that's just me. I think a lot of people would be fine with it. It seemed like a good enough place to live, and the paper had a very nice building that was right in the middle of downtown. No big red flags went up while I was there.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Guy who was leaving is staying according to Dennis.

Draft saved Draft deleted