1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports "Writer" -- Sulphur Springs (Texas) News-Telegram

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, May 27, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

The Sulphur Springs News-Telegram, an award-winning 6-day daily, is looking to add to our sports department. The right candidate should love sports, writing and design. The News-Telegram covers eight different area high schools, with an emphasis on the 4A Sulphur Springs Wildcats. Staff members also have access to Cowboys, Mavericks, Rangers and Stars games. Send resumes, along with writing and design samples, to Scott Keys at scott@ssecho.com.

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1257621

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This might be a hunch, but the pro coverage is probably on your own time. There is absolutely no reason for this paper to send a staffer to a pro game unless you're writing a feature on a local. I hate when a rag with a 6,000 circulation put "perks" like this in despite the fact you're 80 miles from Dallas and 100 miles from Arlington.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That doesn't even sound like coverage. That sounds like the publisher has tickets and lets staffers borrow them. Or even that they've got a 10% discount.

Or that they've got cable on the TV in the sports department. :D

4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

It's all about the high school football. No kidding.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Sulphur Springs is a pretty decent town, as far as East Texas goes. Not that far from Tyler, either.

6. KWinMo

KWinMo New Member

This was my first job out of college a little more than 10 years ago. I learned an incredible amount in about six months. MeanGreen is correct that it's all about the high school football. If you enjoy covering high school football, this is a great place to do it (or anywhere else in Texas).

The ad mentions the pro stuff in Dallas and I did take advantage of it, but it was on my time. I was a young kid getting into the business and wanted to do as much as I could, so I'd drive up there a lot of times for Wednesday games since there wasn't any high school events. I'd write a sidebar on the game and we'd run it the next day. As a cub reporter, it was a learning experience to watch the beat reporters from the major metros work while also getting a small taste of covering professional events. Although it was on my time, I did get reimbursed for mileage and I enjoyed it.

This is a job for someone starting out. There are a lot of opportunities to write quality stories and build your clips. If anyone wants a little more info, feel free to send me a PM.

-- Kevin Winters Morriss

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Looks like a good "job."

8. Raisin Ham

Raisin Ham Member

Sulphur Springs Is A Hell Hole

9. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

But you know where you stand in Sulphur Springs. Friends lend a hand in Sulphur Springs.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you go there, be prepared to staff lots and lots of JV sports. Looks like the previous regime let that genie out of the bottle.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

All those names? That can be overwhelming for the wrong candidate.

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Sulphur Springs is one of those towns where if you don't attend the "right" church, you will not be accepted. Of course, if you're working 60-70 hours a week covering and shooting events then paginating the next morning, you aren't going to have a social life anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted