1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Stuttgart, AR

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jul 22, 2009.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Damn. So that means they probably don't send someone to cover this

http://www.porsche-tennis.de/prod/pag/tennis.nsf/web/german-home

2. Jar of Flies

Jar of Flies Member

You'll get to cover Stuttgart High School, which won the boys' 4A state basketball championship earlier this year. Also, the football program has won several state championships over the years, the last one coming in 2002.

And as Inky mentioned, Stuttgart is the home of the World's Duck Calling Championships. You'll hear duck calls in your sleep for a good week or two after the championships are over with. :D

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Do they still call their gym the Bird Cage?

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

They just may have created the first minimum-wage sportswriting job under the new rate. Minimum pro-rates out to $15,080 annually.

An accomplishment like that deserves the world's best acknowledgement of fail:

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is it possible that's just the lowball starting point for salary discussions? Even in Arkansas they can't expect to get a professional journalist for minimum wage.

6. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

Inky...I live and work in Arkansas. And this is not the first time I have seen a small town job come open that price. I have no clue if that is actually what the salary ends up being, but to see $15,000 is pretty typical sadly.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Why not? If you can spell and know the difference between a touchdown and a touchback, you da man (or woman).

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, they said a degree is preferred but not required. Gee, wonder why?

You go to college for 4-5 years to get a job that's on par with working at that legendary Arkansas business empire, Walmart. Or McDonald's.

(And before someone gets their panties in a bunch, no offense intended toward anyone who happens to work at either of those fine companies.)

9. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

I bet you could end up making more at those companies than you would here.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yes, I hear their CEOs do quite well.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

If this place is anything like some of the Gulf South Conference towns, you will have a hard time drinking your sorrows away.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Arkansas County (the county Stuttgart is in) is legally wet, meaning you can buy beer, wine and liquor in a store. Arkansas law mostly does not distinguish between hard liquor and pisswater beer.

Although "private clubs" have served alcohol legally in supposedly-dry areas statewide for decades and restaurants, more recently.

Draft saved Draft deleted