1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Stuttgart, AR

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Small community newspaper seeking community sports reporter. Job duties include covering sports events, creating sports-related features, occasional page layout, multimedia reporting and other related duties.

The ideal candidate will have some reporting experience — a bachelor's degree in journalism or related field is preferable, but not required — knowledge of various sporting activities, experience with Mac computers, ability to learn various Mac-based programs for multimedia reporting purposes.

The candidate who fills this position has the opportunity to work up to Sports Editor.

Salary will be based on experience.

Candidates who wish to apply for this position may use the online option or send a resume and clips to editor@stuttgartdailyleader.com.

Questions? Call Lesley at (870) 673-8533.

2. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

$15K? Might be the lowest I've ever seen since the dawn of the Internet.
    Stuttgart's publisher should be proud. That is no small feat.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You'd get to cover the World Duck Calling Championships.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Where does it say $15k?

5. Perhaps if all the ad was put up, playthrough, you would see it.
    Here goes:
    Company: Stuttgart Daily Leader
    Position: Seeking Community Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $15,000 to $20,000
    Ad Expires:
    August 25, 2009
    Job ID: 1076980

Description:
    Small community newspaper seeking community sports reporter. Job duties include covering sports events, creating sports-related features, occasional page layout, multimedia reporting and other related duties.
    The ideal candidate will have some reporting experience — a bachelor's degree in journalism or related field is preferable, but not required — knowledge of various sporting activities, experience with Mac computers, ability to learn various Mac-based programs for multimedia reporting purposes.

The candidate who fills this position has the opportunity to work up to Sports Editor.

Salary will be based on experience.

Candidates who wish to apply for this position may use the online option or send a resume and clips to editor@stuttgartdailyleader.com.

Questions? Call Lesley at (870) 673-8533.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Active Member

That, simply, is obscene. Like, minimum wage money. Crazy.

RB

7. Lions Suck

Lions Suck New Member

"The candidate who fills this position has the opportunity to work up to Sports Editor."

Does that mean you can work your way up to being able to afford food?

8. partain

partain Member

While cost of living is a little lower in Stuttgart, I made $17,000 a year as the sports editor of a similar sized newspaper in Jacksonville, Arkansas, back in 1994-- 15 years ago. And I was still in college at the time. I didn't get my degree until 1996, when I quit the paper and moved to Texas.

Even back in the mid 90, Arkansas mandated that they pay first-year teachers $20,000.

While this isn't the editor's job, I'm shocked they can get away with paying someone so little.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

The federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour effective July 24.
    Just sayin.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I'm guessing this isn't where they make Porsches.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Active Member

I hear that the job does include unlimited peanuts...so it has that going for it...geesh!!!

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That equals $15,080 per year. So yep.

And "the opportunity to work up to Sports Editor?" This has been a one-man shop for as long as I can remember.

Draft saved Draft deleted