1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Strasburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Apr 19, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

This one is up again.
    The Northern Virginia Daily, the best small daily newspaper in Virginia, seeks a talented, high-energy sports reporter.
    Our four-person sports staff places a heavy emphasis on local high schools in a section that averages five pages daily. The ideal candidate will have strong writing and reporting skills and an eye for the human interest stories that take the reader beyond the final score. Daily sports desk and page design experience is a plus, but we will train the right candidate.

The six-day-a-week, independently owned newspaper covers the beautiful Northern Shenandoah Valley.

A resume, cover letter and at least five work samples should be mailed to Sports Editor Chuck McGill, Northern Virginia Daily, 152 N. Holliday St., Strasburg, Va. 22657, or e- mailed to cmcgill@nvdaily.com. Minority applicants encouraged.

2. KaraokeC

KaraokeC Member

i'd say the fact that there's still an opening at the hotel...i mean daily...is pretty effing fortunate for the sports job applicant community. although this has willie-butch written all over it, so you better strap some bells and whistles onto your resume if you're not him.

3. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I've already received two rejection letters from the NOVA Daily in the past year. Should I go for the trifecta?

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yes.

5. boots

boots New Member

Here's a thought. Call the SE and ask him what is it that he doesn't like about your work. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

What good would that do? Michael Petre's already moved on.

7. KaraokeC

KaraokeC Member

new SE...maybe the third time's the charm! i know the old SE was not a big fan, however.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I know Petre left, and I'm guessing they filled the SE spot internally.

9. ArmanTamzarian

ArmanTamzarian New Member

It is my understanding that you are correct. I also hear the applications are already piling up.

10. I wonder if the talented Craig Jouer got the nod...

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It says in the ad that Chuck McGill is the new sports editor.

Draft saved Draft deleted