1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer- Steubenville, Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From Monster.com
    http://jobview.monster.com/Sports-Writer-Job-Steubenville-OH-125261599.aspx

SPORTS WRITER
    NEEDED

If you are a real fan and would like the opportunity to write about sports on a full-time basis, the Herald-Star and The Weirton Daily Times are looking for you. We're seeking a full-time sports writer to join our staff. In addition to strong writing skills, the ideal candidate will have experience with digital photography and have pagination skills.

We offer competitive wages, benefits, paid vacation and 401(k).

Send a resume and writing samples or clips by e-mail to:
    rgallabrese@
    heraldstaronline.com,
    or by mail to:
    Executive Editor
    Ross Gallabrese,
    The Herald-Star/
    Weirton Daily Times,
    401 Herald Square,
    Steubenville, OH 43952

provided by The Steubenville Herald-Star

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Experience covering criminal trials an asset.

3. PioneerVoice

PioneerVoice Member

Declining population, allegedly racist police force, corrupt politics, dirty air, terrible economy, nationally notorious rape cover up.

What's not to like?

4. JoeScalzo

JoeScalzo New Member

Speaking of criminal, I was covering a high school football game down in Steubenville a few years ago when I started talking to one of their reporters. He had a four-year degree and had been working there for over a year.

He was making minimum wage.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Do you get to cover football team parties?

6. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Apparently no one in that town believes in consent.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I will say this when it comes to cover legal matters or off the field issues..... you should be able to do it. I realize some places like to hand that stuff off to cops and courts reporters and that's fine if management wants to go that route. But it bothers me when a sports reporter says "Oh, I just cover the games". No, silly, you cover the NEWS, regardless of where it takes place.

If you need help, ask for it, just like I've offered news side colleagues help when it came to sports-related stories. But if you aspire to be a well-rounded reporter, it's important to be able to work outside of your comfort zone.

Draft saved Draft deleted