1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Statesville, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Statesville Record & Landmark, a 15,000 daily circulation newspaper 50 miles north of Charlotte, has an immediate opening for an energetic sports reporter.
    The R&L focuses its coverage on six area public high schools and community sports, but the opportunity also exists for coverage of NASCAR and area college sports.
    The ideal candidate should be comfortable writing game stories, notebooks, profiles, enterprise and columns, as well as working in a team environment. Ability to shoot your own photos is a plus.
    Other responsibilities include working closely with our Consolidated Editing Center in Hickory, assigning photos, planning coverage with our other full-time sports writer, balancing assignments to freelance reporters, managing coverage with our sister papers across the state and keeping our website updated throughout the day.
    Send cover letter, resume (including references) and five clips (at least one game story and feature) to editor Dave Ibach at dibach@statesville.com.

2. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

If this was posted three years ago, I'd say to stay far, far away. Hopefully it's improved since then.

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

You're kidding, right? It's a Media General paper ...

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Really, and I believe BCK knows from personal experience.

5. mjschaefer

mjschaefer New Member

This sounds kind of like an editor job. I'm looking at applying, but I'd rather just be reporting. Anyone know?

6. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

I think there's some type of centralized desk where it's mostly writing, although I'd guess you might have to take some call-ins. This paper does a good job given its limited bodies and early deadlines. The stuff about covering colleges or NASCAR doesn't really ring true.

7. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Filled.

8. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Got a name?

9. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Adam Houston .... formerly with the Newton, N.C. paper ...

Draft saved Draft deleted