1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Statesboro Herald (Statesboro, Ga.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=951958

The Statesboro Herald is looking for a sports writer to cover Georgia Southern University sports. We are an 8,000 circulation, 7-day daily that focuses on combining print and multimedia like no other paper our size. Georgia Southern has one of the the most successful I-AA football programs in America and prominent Division I programs in men's and women's basketball, baseball and many other sports. You must enjoy the challenge and excitement of a full multimedia approach to the newspaper and Web site and not be afraid to try something different. You will be on camera and help produce video shows and stories for our Web sites. It is a demanding but rewarding job. We offer a competitive salary, company health plan, 401K and a great place to live in a college town 50 miles west of Savannah. If you are interested, please e-mail a cover letter and resume to Jim Healy, executive editor, jhealy@statesboroherald.com

Good opportunity to cut your teeth with a small paper but on a D-1 beat.
  2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Great football here. The kid they had at quarterback the last couple of years (I think he may be done now) was just an incredible athlete.
  3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Google Maps says it's an hour and six minutes from Savannah, but with 40 miles on I-16, I'd have to guess you could get that down to 45 or 50 minutes.

Georgia Southern is still pretty widely regarded as a party school, so there's plenty to, um, look at.

Don't know squat about the paper, but for D-IAA (bite me, NCAA) football, you could do much, much worse. They are starting to mutter about moving up, though, so there's that. Not sure if they've brought back the option, which was dumped by Brian VanGorder.
  4. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

Georgia Southern runs an air-raid style offense. Their coach is, from an offensive standpoint, a Hal Mumme protege, but also will tweak his offense to his personnel if needed.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And furthermore, he's easy to work with and fairly straightforward. Thank God he didn't inherit Mumme's bullshit tendancies.

SGA, you see the bit on ESPN last night about the old stomping grounds?
  6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I was listening with the sound off, but it looked like much of their old footage was from a state title game at Clarke Central. Was I right?
  7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

For the last couple of years, they've done a lot of running with the QB out of the shotgun in what looks like a version of the spread or the pistol. But said QB, Jayson Foster, was just a phenomenal TB playing QB. I don't think there were many games where he threw a lot:

8. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

Yep, saw it. Was a pretty good bit.

Southern also has a transfer two-way threat QB whop was a backup at Ohio State, so him in Hatcher's offense could turn out to be pretty electric.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Hatcher is a winner in every sense of the word. He will recruit well, and give him the right personnel and he will succeed. He is a very down-to-earth individual.
  11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

While I've never worked in Stateboro, I can offer up quite a bit about this job, the football program and the town in general. I'll probably continue to think of things down the line, so be patient with me.

First, for all the talk of I-AA football programs -- oops, FCS programs -- demanding respect of the big boys, this is certainly one that qualifies. The boosters at Southern take their shit so seriously, it took all of 15 minutes for them to size up a certain coach hired a couple years back and decide he wasn't going to last more than a year. Sure he enough, he's gone. (And yes, it's not like he fell into depression; he's a DC for an NFL team now.)
    So don't think you'll be able to skate by half-assing this one. Those same boosters paid relatively big money to bring in a big regional name to take over the program.
    Next up -- while they are simply rumors at this point -- the school is at least looking into moving up to I-A (oops, FBS) within the next decade. They have the funding to do it, regardless of what you'll be told on the record. Once the NCAA moratorium is lifted, Southern will be one of the schools people hear about trying to move up.
    The paper itself isn't that big, but for the most part, it always seemed to me to be run pretty efficiently. It's south Georgia, so preps are always going to be big. But drive into that small town on a GSU Saturday during a home game and you'll get the point. It's no secondary task.
    The last (or one of the last) reporters to do this did a fair amount of radio stuff. And considering there are lots of opportunities to do so in outside markets (Birmingham, Greenville-Spartanburg, Charleston) you're going to be in the thick of it.
    That's it for now. I'll add more as I remember.
  12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Oh, and the Holiday Inn Express there is one of the nicest hotels I ever stayed in for a football weekend.
    Free DVD checkout, jacuzzi tubs, sweet breakfast. Hard to top that. If you interview, ask to stay there.
Draft saved Draft deleted