1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, State College, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Centre Daily Times, owned by The McClatchy Company and located in State College, Pennsylvania (circulation 22,700 daily, 28,331 Sunday)seeks a versatile individual who is capable of paginating pages using INDesign on Thursday, covering a high school football game on Friday and writing a Penn State football sidebar on Saturday. and contributing to a bustling website. If you are capable of handling a wide variety of responsibilities at an advanced level, we'd like to hear from you.

Requirements include a bachelor's degree in journalism, two years of professional experience covering various sports, and a solid working knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop.

The CDT offers a full range of employee benefits for full-time employees, including health, dental, vision, life, long-term disability, dependent life and long-term care insurances; 401(k); company stock purchase plan; tax-free flexible spending account for health or dependent care; vacation time, holidays and other paid time off. State College, home of Penn State University, is located in the beautiful, mountainous area of Central Pennsylvania.

Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter and non-returnable clips to:

Centre Daily Times 3400 East College Avenue State College, PA 16801, Attention: Walt Moody or Email: wmoody@centredaily.com

The Centre Daily Times is an Equal Opportunity and Drug-free Workplace Employer.

2. danhawks

danhawks Member

If Walt is in charge of the search, I've got to think this is a better job than it was when I applied for it in 2006. I was good enough to work for USA TODAY, but not good enough for the CDT according to the SE in those days. Good luck to those who apply. Walt was more than helpful when I was looking for some background info when I applied 5 years ago.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Did Ron Bracken retire?

4. mjschaefer

mjschaefer New Member

How many sports writers has Joe Paterno outlasted?

5. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

Lot of work for not much pay.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

This surprises you?

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's The McClatchy Way.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

It's the newspaper business's way.

9. bcsrtull

bcsrtull New Member

To second someone else's sentiment, Walt Moody's a good guy who is easy to work with.

10. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

This paper wouldn't know a good sports writer if they were staring them in the face.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Sorry you didn't get the job.

12. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

I never even got a reply to the package I sent. Such is life I guess, I hope they got someone good, looks like a decent operation.

Draft saved Draft deleted