1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Starkville, Ms

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jul 13, 2009.

1. spud

spud Member

For what it's worth Downey's been at a paper in Florida since last spring. The job ad for his replacement was on this board. Maybe it'll have the name of his replacement.

2. JoJo

JoJo Member

Downey is writing for the Northwest Florida Daily News now. Seidlitz is still there with a new editor. I think this job was created after the death of longtime Starkville sports writer Don Foster last month.

3. All of this is factual information. David Miller is the SE, Aaron is essentially the Mississippi State beat guy, and he does a terrific job.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing, it is interesting to see The Rules of Golf here, this week, when the Royal and Ancient's handbook is in effect. :)

Carry on.

rb

5. Fifty-one weeks out of the year, I administer all 34 of my Rules in the States. I get one week's vacation a year, and it's this week. (And yes, I know the PGA TOUR is in Milwaukee this week. I don't care. I won't be there. Let them have anarchy, a veritable Wild Wild West.)

Yes, carry on.

6. Do they cover Mississippi State as a beat or is it just games?

And I saw up there someone mentioned it was "very small" -- how small specifically?

7. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

I think it's about a 10K. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I think you are correct. Or pretty darn close.

Reminds me a lot of the Stillwater, Okla., or Manhattan, Kansas or Corvallis, Oregon papers. Small towns, small papers that happen to be located in a university town. You have the advantage of having the university there, but it doesn't mean the size of the paper, staff or pay is going to be much different from some town that doesn't have the university.

And you'll always be second tier to the metros who can afford to have a full-time beat person hanging around and send another staffer down on game day.

Draft saved Draft deleted