1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Starkville, Ms

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Description: Sports Reporter: The Starkville Daily News, a daily Horizon Publications newspaper, is seeking a sports reporter with the vision, skill, passion to help make our great sports coverage even better. The Starkville Daily circulates throughout Oktibbeha County, a place where college and high school football is practically a religion. That passion spills over into each community’s other prep sports, making for a primed readership that is always hungry for local sports coverage. In addition to prep sports, we cover Mississippi State University and other SEC schools. Working with the sports editor, the sports reporter reponsibilities include covering area sporting events, writing headlines and cutlines, compiling round-ups as well as covering area high school sporting events We are seeking someone with appropriate experience. Salary and benefits are competitive. Paid vacation, sick leave, mileage and 401K available. Please send a resume, clips and/ or tearsheets to Don Norman, Publisher, Starkville Daily News. P.O. Box 1068, Starkville, Ms. 39760, or e- mail:sdnpub@bellsouth.net or fax (662)324-8092.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Active Member

Crooms hired!

rb

3. mattyb

mattyb Guest

Did Aaron Seidlitz leave?

4. How could a person from Starkville, Miss., write an entire ad like that and not mention "cowbell" once? I thought it was a requirement to mention "cowbell" once every 25 words when talking about Starkville or Mississippi State.

5. thebigd

thebigd Member

i'm not from the South. Would an out-of-state applicant have a chance for this gig?

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Active Member

I don't see why not, thebigd. Just a word to the wise ... this paper is VERY small, and despite its supposed geographic advantage, gets its ass kicked on the Bulldogs beat regularly by the Jackson Clarion-Ledger.

rb

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True. Been there. It's sort of the same situation the paper in Stillwater, OK, is in: small daily that just happens to be in a university town but doesn't have the resources to do it justice when it comes to coverage. I think it's either 2 or 3-person staff.

Still, you get to rub shoulders with some of the big boys on something other than preps, which is more than you can say for most papers this size.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not sure who this position would be replacing. I know longtime sports editor Don Foster died a few months ago, but his role was more of an "emeritus" position by the end and last I heard, they weren't planning on replacing him.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

All they can do is say no. You have nothing to lose. Good Luck.

10. Go for it. I'm not from the Deep South either and I'm applying. You have nothing to lose. If I'm not the one who ends up here, I hope you get it.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

My gig before this one was from a completely different part of the country, and that was not a negative factor in the hiring. It might have helped that the SE also wasn't a native.

12. checkswinger

checkswinger Member

Seidlitz is from Illinois. I believe Travis Downey, the SE, is the only other guy there. Not sure if either of them left. ???

Draft saved Draft deleted