1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Starkville, MS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Feb 26, 2007.

1. How many times ya visited, mizzou?

2. John

John Well-Known Member

As an Ole Miss grad I'm probably supposed to mock Starkville every chance I get, but I've been there a couple of times this year and it's not too bad. It's a lot better than it was a decade ago.

I don't know anything about the paper other than it has at least one good writer.

3. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Like Fayetteville, Starkville's bad reputation far exceeds reality. I've always enjoyed my time there.

That said, the paper is a rag.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And he's an F-in stud

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Go there, do a real dynamite job and in a couple of years I'll try to hire you and instead you'll decide to go work for Rusty Hampton.

Hey, it's a living ...

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It is the worst SEC college town, also the smallest, I think, might be Oxford instead.
    But none of the SEC schools, outside Vandy, are in what would be considered large markets.
    I can't say that Starkville is the worst college town period. I've heard bad things about Lubbock and, reportedly, Pullman isn't a picnic either.

7. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

I breezed through Starkville in February. It looks like a gem when compared to the rest of Mississippi.
    Ironically, I also toured Pullman last month and there's not much going on there either ... well, the University of Idaho is about 10 minutes away, whatever that's worth.

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I've seen Bruce Springsteen in concert 10 times - 8 with the E Street Band, twice solo.

Far and away the best of those shows was at "The Hump" in Starkvegas. Without checking ticket stub I believe the date was Feb. 13, 1981. He played for 3.5 hours and "Jungleland" during the encore was my best concert moment ever.

We did learn the hard way that you could not buy cold beer in Starkville on that trip.

Only other memorable moment in Starkville was getting locked inside the football stadium when some doofus locked the fence that surrounds it while folks were still working in the press box.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Unless I missed it, Don Foster is still the editor there. He is a 20-year vet in the position and was with the Dogs at the Final Four in 1996 and numerous Omaha CWS trips.
    Hawkins is a managing editor or somesuch.
    Starkville Daily News is a college-town paper and is what it is.
    This a job for a newbie grad or someone cutting their teeth.
    Everyone here on the board knows that.
    Mizzou shouldn't apply. We know that, too.
    He's overqualified for this one.

10. If Don Foster still is there, he needs to retire. He misspells too many words.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

That's the 60s-70s guy you talked about.
    Yes, he's a homer. Autumn gamedays are painful for him whether State's winning or losing.
    He hates the refs. All of 'em.
    But he's a helluva nice guy and was once my boss.

12. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Starkville is not the end of the world but it's just a $3 cab ride away.

Draft saved Draft deleted