1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, St. Joseph, Mo.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Methodtomymadness, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and why is that?

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It took two of you to post that?

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

See, for me it would be the women's coach (Dave Slifer), if he's even still there. That guy cracked me up. Even called the newsroom to wish me good luck when I found another job, even though I covered Emporia State. Just a great guy to cross paths with every now and then to liven the beat.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

That's MISSOURI, asshole. Some of us are proud to be from there.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Yeah, no shit. It's not like we're from Kansas or something. Now that would really suck.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not really. In fact, I'm thankful for every day that we didn't move to the wrong side of State Line Road.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Fellas, fellas. Come together as one. Flyover Nation, little brother to the parts of the country that matter.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I will say this, many staffs that aren't major-metro spoiled are stretched tight enough as it is. That's why it's impossible for any SEs to get out of town to do the judging. Especially during the school year.

9. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

I don't have a problem with the SE leaving as long as he/she has delegated the proper responsibilities and the budget is ready to go each day for the designer(s), which can be done from the road. When during the prep season is a good time to leave? Maybe the ME told the SE he/she should go. Maybe he calls in everyday to answer any questions or hold a meeting with the deskers. Yeah it sucks, but this is a business where the situation rapidly changes. And sometimes your boss has upper managemnt shit to do that you think is total bs (wow what a schocker). Sometimes you will have to work hard and pick up the slack left by others. Get used to it.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

You're already down a man, and then another guy leaves for the better half of a week? I just don't see it.

11. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Yes I can understand that. If you're down a man and it's small circ. you should stay. But who knows, maybe the publisher has a hard-on for awards and makes this dude go. But if the SE could avoid it then obviously he should stay. But it doesn't surprise me that an SE would take off when things start to pick up. It's happened before.

12. Biancalana

Biancalana New Member

The departing writer isn't gone yet, so they are not a man down. Christ, get some facts straight before ripping anyone and everyone on this site.

I was one of those who went through the St. Joe pipeline and it was a wonderful place to start, just a shitty town. You can do much, much worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted