1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, St. Joseph, Mo.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Methodtomymadness, Feb 23, 2007.

1. awriter

awriter Active Member

Family-owned can be a good thing, too.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Family-owned papers are feeling revenue pressure as well, although their struggles are not played out daily in public.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Last I heard STJ was planning a lot of new online and tv stuff. not sure how that trickles down to the sports staff, though.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Yes, it can, if your spouse has a good-paying job with excellent benefits.

I loved my first gig, which was at a family-owned paper. But between pay and benefits, and my wife's full-time job, we still qualified for food stamps. I'd love to still be there, but couldn't afford it.

5. awriter

awriter Active Member

Then don't apply. All I know is in this case, the fact that it's a family-owned paper is not a bad thing at all.

6. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Free chewable orange aspirin for all staffers. That's a damn fine benefit.

7. PaulS

PaulS Member

Best things about working in St. Joseph:

1) Scott Pummell - big Springsteen fan.
    2) The Brown Bear
    3) City editor Steve Booher - be sure to get him started on Bob Martin/Dave McQueen stories.
    4) Chance to study Rob Schneider's formative layout years. The guy wrote the book on workng magic with METS, although John Wilheim never got the credit he deserved for launching Rob's career.
    5) Chance to study Adam Knapp's formative layout years. Be sure to find the black-and-white Ozzie Smith display.
    6) Missouri Western basketball coach Tom Smith
    7) Coleman Hawkins Day!!!
    8) Maid-Rite
    9) Chiefs luncheons at the D&G.
    10) Noon pickup basketball at the Y.

I can echo what Matt Humphrey said. It's a great place to start or a good move up from a smaller paper. Missouri Western and Northwest Missouri State are great to cover. I worked there eight years and enjoyed it.
    Paul Suellentrop
    The Wichita Eagle

8. Pops

Pops Member

Don't forget the Web site that may at any moment burn out your retinas.

Top story today: "Everyone loves a good cheeseburger"

9. I think this link has gotten big enough considering we are talking about SAINT JOSEPH, MISERY.

Come on people.

The sports editor this week took off on the staff to vote in APSE stuff. My buddy there said high school basketball postseason is in full swing and the local Division II colleges are busy with postseason tournaments. I sure wouldn't want to work at a place where the sports editor abandons his staff when it needs him the most. Than again, we are talking about SAINT JOSEPH, MISERY!

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

So, they're short-handed as is AND he left for five days?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks for stopping by pissed off staff member who now has to spend all 8 hours actually doing his job instead of spending 4 on SportsJournalists.com.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

shit! I'd be pissed too.

Draft saved Draft deleted