1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, St. Joseph, Mo.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Methodtomymadness, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Company: St. Joseph News-Press
    Position:
    Seeking Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    March 30, 2007
    Job ID: 742779

Description:
    SPORTS REPORTER
    The St. Joseph (Mo.) News-Press is seeking a full-time sports reporter for our 36,000-circulation daily located about 40 miles north of Kansas City. The job involves reporting on sporting events and writing other sports news and feature stories, with a particularly strong emphasis on local and regional high schools and the colleges in our 21-county area.

This position requires a top producer who is able to demonstrate initiative in reporting sports stories that are both interesting and informative. The successful applicant will display an excellent understanding of the mission of the newspaper to engage readers and to meet readers’ needs and interests across a broad spectrum of topics.

Core requirements: bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications; experience as sports reporter (internships or experience on a college newspaper will be considered); demonstrated understanding of such issues as journalism ethics, press law and the competitive aspects of daily reporting; proficiency in spelling, grammar, punctuation, style and computer keyboarding (30-40 wpm); ability to conduct in-person and telephone interviews; and ability to report and write interesting and accurate stories on deadline.

A valid driver’s license and a safe driving record are required. Employment is contingent on passage of a drug screening and a background screening.

This position comes with a competitive salary and benefits package.

Qualified persons are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Send a brief letter of introduction, resume, names of three references, and three to five examples of your best work to: Scott Pummell, Sports Editor, St. Joseph News-Press, 825 Edmond St., St. Joseph, MO 64501. The e-mail address is scottp@npgco.com. The phone number is (816) 271-8577.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Stay away!

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Por que???

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

I'm curious, too.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Don't know about all that.

I do know I had an interview with them, which stemmed from when I strung the state wrestling tournament for them in college. I never told my parents about it, because they'd have been ga-ga over the possibility of me staying close to home.

Me, I knew I probably wasn't going to take the job, because I wanted to experience life for a bit somewhere other than the midwest. My decision was warrented when the SE (and I don't know if it's the guy listed or not, I honestly forget) couldn't get his car started when went to lunch. Nice guy, but I thought 'Man, if he's the boss, and he can't afford a car that starts, what are they going to pay me?'

6. GopherGuts

GopherGuts New Member

FWIW, the colleges they cover: Missouri Western, Northwest Missouri State. Maybe that floats your boat?

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Anyone know if this is entry-level? What it pays?

Didn't their sports editor leave about the time of the midwest APSE conference in KayCee?

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't believe I know anyone there anymore, they've since moved on. When I did know people there, though, it seemed like a nonstop revolving door in that department. Pay seemed decent, though not great, and the SE at the time encouraged reporters to put any and all overtime on timeslips, within reason. If they worked 42, 43, 44 hours, put it on there and they would get it. They just couldn't work 48 on a ho-hum week and expect to get that.

Missouri Western and NWMSU are definitely worth covering, because it is college. Preps can be tricky because they do cover schools in both Missouri and Kansas, so there is that.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i believe they travel with western, as well.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

The former SE was Scott something. I think it was Dochterman or something like that. It's about an hour from Kansas City I believe, but it really is the sticks. Typical small town, but above poster was right, it was a revolving door.
    Like most small towns, it's a very white community, very far behind the curve in that regard. Some of the things you'd hear people say are just unbelievable. Not necessarily people at the paper, but just in the community.

11. boots

boots New Member

So there is inbreeding?

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

:D

Draft saved Draft deleted