1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, St. Augustine Record, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkenwhy, May 1, 2012.

1. dkenwhy

dkenwhy New Member

The St. Augustine Record, an award-winning, 20,000 circulation daily located in St. Augustine, Fla., has an immediate opening for a sports writer to join its staff. It's an entry level job, with the main focus being on the eight high schools in St. Johns County. We have some of the best prep football in the state. St. Augustine High School is a perennial state power. Nease (Tim Tebow's alma mater) and Bartram Trail (state semifinalist last season) are also part of the group. There are also some opportunities to cover University of Florida football and Jacksonville Jaguars home games. Job duties will consist of a little bit of everything. Writer will have to work extensively with page design, taking call-ins, updating the website and being actively involved in social media. Experience with InDesign and prior work experience is a plus, but is not necessary. Candidates must have experience working at a daily either in college or at a newspaper. People with lay out experience will be preferred as well. We are owned by Morris Digital Works, the company that owns the Florida Times-Union, and are located 30 minutes south of Jacksonville.

Interested applicants should send a cover letter and five to seven clips to sports editor Danny Klein at danny.klein@staugustine.com

2. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Don't know anything about the paper, but I'll be damned if St. Augustine isn't one of my favorite towns in the world. Well, until summer, anyway. So, so hot.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have a friend who lives in St. Aug. She loves this paper.

And she's a journalist, FWIW. :)

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Good paper. Could possibly lead to a spot at the Florida Times-Union but nothing is set in stone.

5. doctorx

doctorx Member

Last two Record departures are now UF beat writer and preps editor at T-U.

6. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

But then you'd have to move from St. Augustine to Jacksonville. No, thanks.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

St. Aug isn't paradise.

8. dkenwhy

dkenwhy New Member

This job was filled today. Thank you to everyone who applied. I'm surprised and humbled by the amount of talent and responses I got in such a short time. Good luck to everyone in their careers.
    Danny

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You filled a job in two days?

10. avgregerson

avgregerson New Member

Sad to hear that (tossed in an app myself), but mazel tov to Danny and the new hire.

11. Raiders

Raiders Guest

People with lay out experience will be preferred as well.

Damn. And here I spent all day laying out to look good for the interview.

12. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Seconded. How did you fill a job in two days?

Draft saved Draft deleted