1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Springfield, MO

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Prep sports reporter

The News-Leader Media Group in Springfield, Mo., is looking for a sports journalist to cover and coordinate high school sports for our print and online publications.

We are a community-focused media company creating deep local sports content for a daily and Sunday newspaper, weekly newspapers, several Web sites and a mobile site.

The ideal candidate has experience covering prep sports and understands and appreciates why high school athletics are important to big and little communities alike.

You have a track record of writing quickly and clearly about sports and can deliver enterprise beyond players, teams and game results by digging deeper to give fans a fuller picture of what goes on behind the scenes. We're very interested in explaining the latest trends in high school sports.

You also can assign reporting and photography freelancers to get the best games covered on deadline and on budget.

We’re a Gannett media company and at the forefront of developing content for multiple print and online platforms. We’re reinventing our newsroom, so you’ll need to be energized by innovation and change. You may be creating multimedia content – including audio clips, podcasts, videos, photos and photo galleries – and you’ll certainly interact with our readers/users through blogs, online forums and beat advisory groups.

Up for the challenge? Send your cover letter, resume and digital work samples to Pam Clark, sports editor, at pclark@news-leader.com. If you have a Web site with work examples, please send along the URL.

We have competitive salaries, a 401(k), and health and education benefits. For its size, the News-Leader Media Group has one of the most diverse newsrooms in the country. We embrace diversity and all the benefits that it brings.

Springfield is in southwest Missouri and the third largest city in the state. It’s an easy drive to Kansas City, St. Louis and Tulsa, Okla. The area is home to Missouri State University and several private universities and colleges. It is a regional health care center with two large systems. Branson, a national live entertainment and leisure destination, is nearby. The region boasts a highly diversified economy and is annually rated one of the best places in the country for families with children, entrepreneurs and small businesses. It’s also among the most affordable places to live. Springfield is a lively sports town that hosts a Double-A pro baseball team affiliated with the big league St. Louis Cardinals, Division I college sports at Missouri State University, and several quality small-college programs nearby. Finally, we’re in the heart of the Ozarks mountain region, which has an international reputation for great outdoor recreation, including world-class hunting, fishing and water sports such as canoeing and kayaking.

Check us out on the Web at www.news-leader.com.

2. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Springfield is a great place for young families to grow. Former CW Morning show Anchor John Brown was in Springfield before moving to Florida to do the CW's morning show and ended up moving back to Springfield because he wanted to raise his family there. The schools are fantastic and there are enough options for living in good communities outside of Springfield if you don't want to be in city limits. The city was built on a grid with four highways surrounding it, so everything is laid out and easy to navigate. Also some of the best Chinese food I've ever eaten. If you want to know about the town, you can PM me. If you want to know about the paper, I know nothing.

That being said, this is Gannett and I'm surprised they're even allowing hiring with all the layoffs Gannett has had.

3. Am I wrong or isn't this the paper that a year or so back wanted its sports candidates to send five story ideas, an essay on some such topic and various other crap along with your application? I recall the amount of hoops to jump through was insane. Perhaps someone there came to the same conclusion.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Enough said.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Folks in Illinois will tell you there are worse companies.

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Finalists have been called on this one...wish I had been one...ughh.

8. Rigs87

Rigs87 New Member

I was one, didn't get it, was told that they were going to hire from another Gannett paper.

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

sounds like it's down to two vying for it now...

10. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

I'm late to the party, but anyone know who left?

11. Simon

Simon Active Member

Allen Vaughn

12. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Thought it might have been. Where did he land?

Draft saved Draft deleted