1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Springfield, Mo.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by steveu, May 21, 2008.

1. spud

spud Member

I had the same reaction to that email. I don't see the value in all that mess.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I wonder if everyone who applied got that. If anything, it's a good way to weed out people. It seems like it already has taken out a few.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

One of many stops for Mr. Schulte. Where is he now?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Wausau Daily Herald. Why is he a board favorite? My dealings with him have been okay, but I don't work with him.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Oh, by the way, where's the hard hitting enterprise stuff on the Web site. Didn't see much about the Lady Bears that's unique in the archives. I see just the regular mix of gamers, advances and features.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Maybe that's why they're looking for a new beat writer.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And story ideas.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

big green: why in the hell not write a column (and get paid for it) at your current place about ... wait for it ... why there is or isn't too much emphasis put on winning in college sports? run the fucking column and send it to springfield.

and no. 2 doesn't seem all that difficult.

9. top_dog

top_dog New Member

Tread lightly on this one ... the newspaper overall has had plenty of turnover over the past three years ... The "essay" portion may give you a little hint about how things are run there.

That said, Springfield is a good town to raise a family. And Missouri State women's basketball is huge, and has been for the past 15 years.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I find that message which big green wahoo got to be peculiar too. In this market I know people can request whatever the hell they want, but still. The essay doesn't bother me, I can see the logic of using that to compare writers on an even scale (though that is rather collegiate; do I need to do it in a blue book?). But I get suspicious when people ask for *very* specific story ideas.

"If you want to make the cut, you'll need to do your homework and learn all you can about the Lady Bears ... Then you’ll need to develop four smart, enterprising, innovative ideas that are must-reads for our community."

If I'm applying from far away, I don't know what the must-reads are for your community. I'd feel presumptuous thinking I do. I'm also not going to become a Lady Bears encyclopedia on my own dime. I think there's a line between brainstorming some good story ideas and an editor trying to stock his idea folder on applicants' backs.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

For a paper that's looking for someone ideally with three to five years covering a DI women's beat, the requirements are bush league.

The EE is looking for ideas because obviously they are having some problems on their own.

12. Love_Sports

Love_Sports Member

when I've applied for jobs and included story ideas, I've had more than a few end up in their paper. it wasn't me writing them, either.

if you want my ideas, you hire me first.

Draft saved Draft deleted