1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer / SB Minnesota

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by akneeland, Nov 24, 2010.

1. akneeland

akneeland New Member

No idea of the pay, or even if there is any. But this is a great opportunity for someone to get their foot in the door. A writer at Daily Norseman has interviewed several players already, and exposure at this site could really help your future career.

UPDATE - Pay is $100/month.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Well, there better be pay or this listing won't last long.

3. akneeland

akneeland New Member

Heard that the pay is $100/month.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

$100 per month?

For four longer, feature stories in addition to whatever else?

Good luck with that.

They apparently don't want writers. They want fanbois.

5. bsugrad

bsugrad New Member

The post makes that quite clear. Not exactly describing a "sports journalist."

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

How is this a great opportunity? You could make more working part-time covering preps at a weekly paper.
    This is how these horrible fanboi sites survive. They say they're a springboard because you can "talk to the pros" and "you can get your name out there," like anyone ever pays attention to the byline.
    Who the fuck cares?
    Can you write? Do you know how to break down a game and cover it from different angles? Do you know how to ask relevent questions to get answers you're looking for?
    If any first-timers really think this is a good idea, good luck.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

<i>"Incorporate certain terms into your titles and things like that to make them search engine friendly"</i>

The University of Minnesota BRITNEY SPEARS beat Purdue 35-31 PALIN after a furious rally HORNY MIDGETS from a 31-7 third quarter deficit.

8. akneeland

akneeland New Member

Obviously, this is an opportunity for niche sports fans. Not everyone has the opportunity to cover sports for a living, and this would simply be a little to make on the side while, presumably, doing what you love: writing about Minnesota sports.

I'm just saying, this opportunity shouldn't be laughed at. It's perfect for some people, but probably not for most posters on this forum. Sorry if I shouldn't have posted this kind of thing here.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Nice. Well-played.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Correct. Especially because this sort of blasphemy is what's driving most of us out of a job.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Oh, come on now....There's no way Purdue could score 31 points in three quarters! Even against Minny. LOL

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tell me more about Britney Spears scoring 35 times on Palin....

Wait, which Palin?

[​IMG] or [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted