1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Roswell, NM

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's 2010 and what better way to bring in the new year than a post from Roswell. Let the hounds out the front door.

The Roswell Daily Record, an award-winning, independent daily newspaper in southeastern New Mexico with a circulation of about 11,000, is seeking a reporter to cover sports in the area. Candidates for the sports position should possess strong writing skills, be familiar with sports terminology, have associated computer skills and able to meet deadlines. The successful applicant must be able to write quickly and concisely, take digital photographs and design pages. Experience in covering high school sports is a big plus. We’re looking for an aggressive reporter who can provide play-by-play information, place games in the larger context and break down the statistics. The position offers competitive wages, medical benefits, a gasoline allowance and compensation for travel outside the immediate area. Interested applicants should contact Andrew Poertner, editor, Roswell Daily Record, at editor@roswell-record.com, by fax at (575) 625-0421 or send mail to: Andrew Poertner, Roswell Daily Record, PO Box 1897, Roswell, NM 88202. No phone calls please. All applications should include a letter of interest, resume, writing samples and references.
  2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Cue Bullwinkle pulling a rabbit out of a hat again. Presto!
  3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think I can take digital photographs. I'll just buy one of those one-use cameras at the grocery store and get my pictures back on a CD-ROM. As for play-by-play, I'll send along my 40-inch gamer as my only clip.
  4. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

The only thing better would have been this posting appearing Christmas Morning.
  5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Calling Tom Petty, calling Tom Petty. Your dream gig is awaiting.
  6. You mean it's time for my oil change again ... already?
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Death, taxes and a job opening in Roswell.
  8. gregcrews

gregcrews Member

I know there are always openings at this paper, but why? Is it that bad of a shop/town?
  9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There are two reasons why a paper has many opening. 1. The paper is good at grooming reporters to move up to a bigger paper or 2. Pay is a low as you can go and management is awful.

I'll leave it up to you to make up your own mind.

EDIT: Greg, you've posted on Roswell threads before. Surely I hope you're jesting.
  10. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

On the bright side, your copy is edited by this guy:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Gebus it seems like this job is listed every 6 months or so....
  12. RFB-Boy

RFB-Boy Member

We're looking for a reporter with an aggressive, steady pulse. Must be well-versed in breathing and have an eye toward maintaining a stable core body temperature. If I was independently wealthy, I'd love to try this job for a year. Having said that, I'll be laid off tomorrow and in line to apply.
Draft saved Draft deleted