1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Roanoke Rapids, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

From Journalismjobs.com

We are a six-day a week newspaper in the heart of a growing Valley offering a variety of outdoor activities including two lakes and the Roanoke River all in a region that is changing and growing. We cover sports in four school districts, several private schools and numerous community and city leagues. We are committed to community coverage and providing our readers with the best in sports. We are a short distance away from NASCAR venues and the heart of the ACC, Tobacco Road. This is a full-time position. The job requirements include: • Strong writing and editing skills. • Strong people skills and a commitment to community journalism. • A love of ALL sports. • A working knowledge of Word and QuarkXPress. If you are interested in this position, send you resume to Managing Editor John Moeur at P.O. Box 520, Roanoke Rapids NC 27870 or via e-mail at johnmoeur@rrdailyherald.com.

2. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Anybody know anything about this paper? I write news for a 7-day daily. Moving to a 6-day paper, albeit a sports job, seems like a step back. Any advice?

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Avoid, especially if you're currently at a 7-day daily.

Roanoke Rapids isn't a bad place - I'm a little biased because my great-aunt and uncle lived most of their lives in Halifax County - but it's a little remote, and given the resources, budget, etc. ... fat chance there will be much coverage of any NASCAR or Atlantic Coast Conference sports. The Triangle is too far away, and though you're close to Virginia, UVa and Va. Tech are an even longer hike west than the Triangle.

Stay put. This paper wasn't any great shakes the last time I saw anything out of there a couple of years ago. Perhaps things have improved, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

4. Word.

Draft saved Draft deleted