1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Quincy (Ill.) Herald-Whig

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dob23, Sep 27, 2009.

1. dob23

dob23 New Member

Just a quick update.

We have scheduled interviews with two finalists. It was a very strong applicant pool with nearly 50 people applying for the job.

For those who applied, I tried to give you some individual feedback on why we didn't look your way. If I could give those job seekers out there any advice it would be to make sure you have a resume packet that is filled with more than just game stories.

We're looking for — and I can only assume most papers want — someone who can go beyond the game story and routine player feature. Having enterprise work in your packet will set you apart from the rest.

Also, if the job calls for design work, please include design samples so the paper has an idea of what you can do when called upon to do desk. This isn't a big deal at the big papers, but at smaller papers like ours it is vital that you are a utility player. This job doesn't have much desk work associated with it, but it's enough that I needed to know what applicants could do on the desk.

If you're a college kid, even if you have dreams of going big time, make sure to get some kind of background in design. Who knows if you'll even need it years from now, but it's good to have for the here and now.

Thanks to Moddy for hosting this jobs board. It's a valuable service for job seekers and employers alike.

Sincerely,

Don O'Brien
    Sports Editor
    Quincy (Ill.) Herald-Whig

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That was all very good advice, Don. Thanks for posting it -- both for the newcomers and those of us who've been around awhile. Hope your new hire works out well for you.

May I second his advice about:

1. Writing good feature stories, then using them as clips. Just about any newspaper with a circulation of 40K or less (such as the herald-whig and the place I work) can use a good feature or column on a local athlete in the Monday or Tuesday sports sections. Usually there's not much local copy to put in those days, so have a feature ready to go.

2. Learning page design. Can't stress this enough, for both college journalists and veterans. When I started out in the biz, versatility meant you could write AND shoot pictures (and use the darkroom!). These days, as Don O'Brien notes, many sports desks need people who can write and do layout. I've done both for the past dozen or so years and it's helped me greatly.

Good luck out there, everybody!

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Agreed...thanks for the feedback Don...sounds like a great place to be on staff.

For those still in college...learn all the skills...it's not just about writing anymore...design, photography and web skills are a must at many publications. For those who have been at this for awhile don't get stagnant...I've found you can usually pull a co-worker aside and learn new skills on the job. Always a plus, in this changing profession.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's easy to get give this advice, but I'm betting that the final candidate is probably over-qualfied for this type of paper based on the job market out there. Did a recent grad even have a chance?

5. Non-Prison Like Way

Non-Prison Like Way New Member

Any news on this one?

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Heard Don on the radio this morning. He was not only informative, but very entertaining. Sense of humor made him seem like a good guy to work for. The man was stoked about last night's Bulls' game.

7. dob23

dob23 New Member

We have finished our search. Jared Bell, who was formerly at a newspaper in Ashland, Ohio, will join our staff on No. 23. We're very fortunate to have him join our staff. Jared graduated from Northern Illinois last year and has spent several years working in the LaSalle, Ill., market.

It was really a quality field of applicants. I tried to make sure to get back to everyone who applied with specific reason why they didn't make the cut. If I didn't get back to you, I apologize.

I realize this site is usually patrolled by sports folks, but we do have an opening on the news side that just opened. PM me if you're interested and I'll give you the contact info.

Liut, thanks for the kind words. We try to have fun on the radio. Thanks for listening.

Don O'Brien
    Sports Editor
    Quincy (Ill.) Herald-Whig

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

His show is especially at its best when he has me on.

9. KUjhawk02

KUjhawk02 Member

Don,

Thanks for taking the time to keep the board updated and for sharing your insights for prospective job-seekers. Some of it might seem like common knowledge, but I'm sure there are many out here who will find your advice useful when revising resumes.

Cheers

10. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Don's a Bulls fan? Wow. Who knew?

Draft saved Draft deleted