1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Quincy (Ill.) Herald-Whig

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dobs23, Jun 11, 2007.

1. dobs23

dobs23 New Member

The Quincy Herald-Whig, a 26,000 p.m. daily in Quincy, Ill., is seeking a sportswriter/page designer. The ideal candidate will have the ability to write the lead story or design the sports cover, and work across media platforms with our television and radio partners. Prior daily newspaper experience is preferred, but we will consider recent graduates. QuarkXPress experience is required.

We primarily cover 40 high schools and four colleges, along with some professional sports. The Herald-Whig circulates in 13 counties in West-Central Illinois and Northeast Missouri. Quincy is located on the Mississippi River, about two hours north of downtown St. Louis. The Herald-Whig is owned by Quincy Newspapers Inc., a privately held company that owns and operates two newspapers, two radio stations and 12 television stations.

The Herald-Whig is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Send a resume and work samples to Don O’Brien, Sports Editor, The Herald-Whig, P.O. Box 909, Quincy, IL 62306, or contact by e-mail at dobrien@whig.com.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

What the percentage of writing over page designing?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I don't know, but with your grammar I wouldn't worry about it.

4. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

It's an educated guess, but I'm going to say it's a lot of paginating.

EDIT

Then again, the Sports Editor did post this one, so I'm guessing Dan can handle questions.

5. dobs23

dobs23 New Member

The job is about 85 percent writing to 15 percent layout. We have a four-person staff, which includes one designer.

6. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

...Don.

7. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

What, you think I'm literate just because I post on here?

8. Don: Would there be any opportunities to cover Quincy University athletics? What is the QU coverage like at your paper? Thanks.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

geez! just apply already.

10. dobs23

dobs23 New Member

Philly,

There is an opportunity to cover Quincy University athletics. We staff all of QU's home football and men's and women's basketball games and majority of those teams' road games.

We also have two NAIA schools — Culver-Stockton College and Hannibal-LaGrange College — and one NJCAA Division II school — John Wood Community College — in our coverage area.

11. What's pay like for this job?

12. dobs23

dobs23 New Member

Somewhere in the mid to upper $20s, depending upon your experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted