1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports writer, Prineville, OR

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jun 12, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The Central Oregonian has an immediate opening for a sports/general assignment reporter.
    Job duties include: writing compelling sports stories, taking eye-catching photos and page design.

Knowledge of Quark Xpress and Adobe Photoshop is preferred, but not required.

Qualified candidates need to make a commitment to the community, as well as the paper and should be prepared to live in the Prineville.

Entry level position, but requires a bachelor's degree or one to two years of related experience.

Live, work and play in the heart of central Oregon! We look forward to hearing from you.

Interested candidates should send resumes to:

Vance Tong Publisher 558 N Main St Prineville, OR 97754 email: cojobs@eaglenewspapers.com

2. Hustle

Hustle Guest

This made me chuckle. Prineville is a small, dusty town; very different than Bend, the resort town 20 minutes up the road.

We were out there last year for their annual fair while we were visiting - my wife's family's Ford dealership was sponsoring one of the nights of the horse races. And let me tell you, those were some sad, sad horses - none of them will show up at Santa Anita anytime soon.

Anyway, I don't know anything about the paper, but it's a small-town with mid-sized amenities nearby.

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

On that note, and as a follow-up to the Tri-City Herald thread, I have to ask ... how does one "prepare" to live in Prineville? Other than that fair you were talking about, I'm betting Free Beef Days at Les Schwab (may he RIP) is the second biggest happening of the year.

4. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Ask and ye shall receive...I asked my wife (Bend native) that very question.

She has some ideas, but she'd like to preface them by saying that she does like Prineville and there are a number of fine people there that support the family businesses. With that said, here's her reply:

"You must be prepared for the following: own cowboy boots, own a cowboy hat, have a high tolerance for rednecks, have a high tolerance for stupidity, expand your vocabulary of expletives, eliminate from your vocabulary any words that can be found on the SAT, and be prepared to live in a small, relatively secluded, town."

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Eagle Newspapers requires its employees to live in the town they cover. Thus, to work for the Central Oregonian you live in Prineville. (Could be worse: you could work for the Madras Pioneer.)

Paper's twice a week, covers Crook County and Mitchell high schools (and Mitchell is miles and miles away, so CCHS is primary). All the shopping, restaurants, entertainment, &c are in Bend. Used to be that the sports editor was responsible handled covering the county fair board for news side.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Prineville is pretty awful. It is shocking how much different it is than Bend, but at least Bend is a reasonable drive away.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

Just how big is beautiful metropolis of Pineville?

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Less than 10k.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

prineville woulda make the list -- if it were in washington -- on the tri-cities thread. icky town, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

That seems a little archaic, no?

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Had one of my first interviews there out of college.

It's in the middle of the central Oregon desert. The only other thing I remember is that I didn't get the job and a few days later, the town flooded (don't remember if a dike broke or what).

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Working for the Pioneer, or living in Madras? ;D

It makes sense from a community relations point of view, I suppose.

Draft saved Draft deleted