1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Pottsville PA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hoop Time, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

Company: REPUBLICAN & Herald
    Position: Seeking sports writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: September 10, 2007
    Job ID: 812450

Description:
    The REPUBLICAN & Herald, Pottsville, Pa., has an opening for a full-time sports writer/copy editor. The ideal candidate would be energetic and motivated, have a passion for high school and youth-level sports, have good grammar and punctuation skills and be able to work under deadline pressure. Layout and pagination experience is a must.

Job duties include beat coverage of local high school, youth-level and collegiate sports, feature writing, and layout and pagination of pages on a daily basis.

If interested, send resume and writing clips to Leroy Boyer, Sports Editor, The REPUBLICAN & Herald, 111 Mahantongo Street, Pottsville, PA 17901 or e-mail Lboyer@republicanherald.com.

Deadline for applications is Friday, Aug. 24.

-----------------------

This is a great place for someone looking for a first job, or a step up from a smaller paper. The area is not the greatest in some ways, but the people there are passionate about sports, especially their local preps. As it says, it is preps intensive, but the football and girls hoops in particular are very strong in that region.

Money won't be great, but cost of living is very reasonable. Leroy (SE) is a good guy.

I used to be the SE there and would be glad to answer any further questions. Just send a PM.

2. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Last summer this place had an opening that they filled from within the company (Times-Shamrock) in about a week, so I'd jump on this quick if you're interested. Times-Shamrock isn't a great company - they also own the Citizen's Voice in Wilkes-Barre (which competes with the bigger Times Leader) and the News-Item in Shamokin (a rag) - but it's far from terrible. Anyone know who is leaving and why?

Oh, and Pottsville's also home to Yuengling, the oldest (and best) brewery in America. Their lager got me through high school. :D

3. Keystone

Keystone Member

If you're looking for a job, send your stuff in ASAP. Considering prep football season is about to start, Leroy will want to fill this pretty quickly.

Area has very good preps and teams make annual trips to the state championship, especially in girls basketball and softball. Pottsville High's football team was the Class AAA state runner-up the past two years. This past year, the R&H did a helluva job covering that team's march to Hershey.

Pay won't be the best, but you will have the chance to produce some great clips. Paper did cover Penn State not that long ago, but the Scranton Times takes care of that now.

And, yes, the paper is a couple blocks down Mahantongo Street from the Yuengling Brewery.

4. boots

boots New Member

Avoid Yuengling but do apply for the gig.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Not a bad little town, built on a 45-degree angle. ;)

6. Hustle

Hustle Guest

If you get this job and you have to cover an event at Martz Hall - particularly of the state variety - arrive early. Unless things have changed (I'll defer to the current PaSJ membership), parking was always a bitch, especially for stragglers.

Though I think I remember them reserving space for media...so never mind.

When I went there as a kid, parking was a bitch.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Damn nice high school sports arena, though.

8. lapdog

lapdog Member

It should be noted this is NOT the Pottstown Mercury, which is owned by JRC, which would disqualify it from job consideration by any functionally sane human.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Sigh ... here we go again ...

The name JRC does not have to be brought up on every other job thread.

10. lapdog

lapdog Member

No, only when the job posting is in the same state, and with an almost-identical-sounding city name, as a JRC paper.

Just trying to make sure the innocent are not mistakenly tarred by association with the Domain of BeelzeBob. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted