1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports writer, pottsville, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jun 13, 2006.

1. boots

boots New Member

Silly bump but has this opening been filled?

2. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

Wait, I thought the "pain in the ass" SE was two regimes ago! *LMAO*

Yeah, I was that pain in the ass back then. If those posts are true, I trained the current guy pretty well. Here is what I will tell you about the current SE. When he worked for me there, he worked damned hard. When I first got there, he was a former full-timer who had left, but still worked as a part-timer. As a part-timer, he probably worked as much and as hard as any of the full-time guys and I was damned happy when he decided to come back full time when we had an opening.

He busted his butt to do a good job, and my suspicion is he expects the same from his staff now. To those who feel better than the place, that might be asking more than they feel they need to give.

Much of the "negative" stuff about the place posted here is true. This is not a place for folks who want to be big time, only covering D-1 and pro stuff. But for someone who wants to write about sports for a passionate audience, this is a great place to work.

For those who don't view covering preps as beneath them, this is an excellent place to write. And those who think covering Little League baseball is small-time have never covered a little league game played in front of 30,000 people.

You also get the occasional treat of covering a big league game in Philly, Penn State football or Bucknell hoops.

The pay was not great when I was there and probably is not now. Despite the great beer, the nightlife in Schuylkill County is a lot like the cuisine -- pretty lousy (aside from the Coneys and football concession Haluski and Pierogies). It is not a pretty area, thanks to all the mining scars on the landscape.

But it is a place filled with good sports, good people and interesting stories waiting to be told.

In other words, there are far worse places to work for poor money (not to mention far more expensive places to live on poor paychecks).

By the way, despite the same ownership group, I would not base a lot on the two former Shamokin guys mentioned in this thread. I know one of them well and from what I have heard, their issues were with local Shamokin management, not the chain.

Anyone wants more information on Pottsville, the job, the sports, the area ... feel free to pm me.

3. Keystone

Keystone Member

Yes it was, back in the summer. When the former writer became SE at Shamokin, one of Shamokin's writers moved down to Pottsville in a straight-up trade.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And so is there still an opening in Shamokin now? Or was that filled?

5. Keystone

Keystone Member

It was filled in August. The N-I is at full staff.

Draft saved Draft deleted