1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer position/eastern N.C. (Wilson Daily Times)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stupid, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Stupid

Stupid Member

Well, there's only been 3 years in the past 30+ that Tom hasn't been the SE (or ESE) there. I have no idea what went on during that period in terms of hours per week but, as I said, I usually work between 40-50 during the HS season. Lately, it's been closer to 30 than 40, it seems.

We do a Sat. a.m. edition so Fridays can be long since you come in around 6:30-7 a.m. leave around 11-11:30 and then are back around 6 (or whenever the game starts) and deadline is 1 a.m. (midnight in the summer).

We have a 4-man staff with one full-time desker. Tom, I and the other reporter go out in the field. We rotate our 3-day weekends so that every 4 weeks, you get Sat-Mon off. That's a nice little break that you can work around. Plus, Tom's very good about giving time off when you need it and I never feel overworked.

2. footballzombie

footballzombie New Member

Any particular cutoff date on this one?

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I think the cutoff is just whenever we hire the person for the job, just send until we fill the slot.

4. Stupid

Stupid Member

One thing I failed to mention is that our staff shoots its own photographs for prep sports (except football). That may change with another editor coming in August but for now, it's the way it is. It's not hard to do and if you're inclined towards photography, it's a lot of fun as well.

5. scribeinwiscy

scribeinwiscy Member

Wish I could apply for this one. What a great gig, learning from the man himself, Tom Ham. Boys, your old layout pimp is stopping by to say hello, and despite getting out of the business, the WDT has thrown me to new career heights. I love sports, but not the pay. I crumbled. But, as an editor of a quarterly trade magazine and a yearly 80-page directory, I am still spending plenty of time researching and interviewing, as well as attempting layout. The oft hours of the p.m. rag prepared me for what I currently do. Ham and the WDT staff, Paul and Nick, do a great job of meeting the daily needs of the Wilson area, and some in Nash County, where a neigboring publication sometimes loses its identity. Give it a try, and make sure to eat at Dick's Hot Dogs.

6. JME

JME Member

I feel like I just read a yearbook entry.

7. Precious Roy

Come home, big man.... Just come on home

8. Precious Roy

Update: The position has been filled, thanks to all that applied.

Draft saved Draft deleted