1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Pocono Record, Stroudsburg, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by melock, Jan 4, 2008.

1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Any questions, PM me.

Seeking Sportswriter of the Future

Innovative, high-performance media group seeks Internet-oriented journalist who wants to have fun in fast-paced newsroom. We want lively and engaging sports features including outdoor recreation, trend stories and people profiles – not a play-by-play recap of a game that readers already know the winner of. Successful candidate will help us envision and plan multimedia storytelling including audio slideshows, video and photo galleries. Must also be attuned to opportunities to engage readers through poll questions and other interactive online features. Be prepared for rapid change and lots of chances to learn new things. Knowledge of Adobe InDesign helpful. Work schedule will include some nights, weekends and holidays. E-mail letter, writing samples and resume to Sports Editor Tom DeSchriver, tdeschriver@poconorecord.com. Deadline: Wednesday, Jan. 15.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Man, how do they hold the crowds at the Pocono Mountain East games when everybody is there to see the final score?

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I've only been a visitor there, but it seemed to me that there are worse small towns. The downtown has some life and there's a D-II university. Some people actually commute from there to NYC, and I imagine that's a real bitch.

It's been a few years since I saw the paper. Note that it's owned by Ottaway, and Rupert Murdoch is expected to sell the Ottaway papers.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Spent summers there for many years. Not a bad paper at all. Great place to live, really.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Thought the same thing, shottie ... Well, not the part about Pocono Mountain East, but I laughed at the notion that "readers already know the winner of" high school sporting events.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Is there a town in Pennsylvania that you know NOTHING about?

Maybe you should run for governor in 2010!

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Peckville.

I know nothing about Peckville.

This guy knows Peckville, but he's kind of at a loss on all of District 5 and 9.

[​IMG]

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Never been there myself.

Now, Pecksburg, I've been there.

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Peckville is in the Scranton area. A small, NEPA town. I think they have a few good watering holes or so I've heard. There's a bit of info about grand ol' Peckville.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Bet they occasionally write game stories in Peckville. ;)

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Even though everyone knows the result ???

12. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

Interesting. Somehow the author of this advertisement forgot to delete the word "some" ... honest mistake, I suppose.

At least the (un)lucky winner of the Pocono sweepstakes will have the pleasure of working alongside Mike Kuhns, one of the nicest guys in the biz.

Draft saved Draft deleted