1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Pine Bluff (Ark.) Commercial

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mike Marzelli, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Mike Marzelli

Mike Marzelli New Member

The Pine Bluff Commercial, Southeast Arkansas’ daily newspaper with a circulation of approximately 16,000, has an opening on its sports staff. We are looking for a sports writer/page designer who enjoys covering games and has an eye for related features. The Commercial covers 15 area high schools along with the Division I University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff and the Division II University of Arkansas at Monticello.

The Commercial is part of the Stephens Media Group and offers a strong benefits package with 401(k), health insurance that includes dental and vision coverage, disability and life insurance. Salary is negotiable. Send a resume to Larry Fugate, editor, at LFugate@pbcommercial.com, or call (870) 543-1426.

This is my paper and my department, so PM away with any questions.

2. Nate Olson

Nate Olson New Member

I worked at the PBC as a writer and SE for five years. I hired Mike last March and then took a job with a football magazine in May. I have a deep knowledge of the paper and the city. Please PM me if you have any ?s.

I’m glad I could respond before people started hatin’ on Pine Bluff. The city has a bad rep, but the people are some of the nicest I have met since I moved to Arkansas nine years ago. Several staffers, and even editors, have lived in Little Rock and commuted 45 minutes — if you are interested in living in a bigger city. Mike knew PB and Arkansas would be much different than the Boston area he grew up in, but he was willing to make the plunge because he needed that first job. It has more than paid off for him.

The paper thrived in the 70s and 80s. Circulation has declined, but there are still loyal readers and an overworked staff that tries to cater to them.

This is definitely a springboard job. This is where a newbie can really get the clips he/she needs to make a good leap. In the past five years The Commercial sports department has sent two designers and one writer to the Arkansas-Democrat Gazette and two designers to the Morning News of Northwest Arkansas. There are two other ADG sports writers that served PBC stints in the 80s and 90s. The ME Larry Fugate has connections at the Stephens Paper in Las Vegas and will help you get there if that is your goal.

Mike is a quality guy and young man with a bright future. He is one of the younger PBC SEs in paper history, and that shows the confidence management has in him. He is hardworking, diligent and fair. His intership at Hartford and his freelancing A-10 games while at UMass has made him mature beyond his years. When I hired him last year, I touted him as the most experienced and prepared recent college graduate that has worked at the PBC.

Draft saved Draft deleted