1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Philadelphia (Bulletin), PA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diego Marquez, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Pops

Pops Member

Actually, that's exactly what I thought you meant. It's like being a motivated seller. If you're willing to ignore all the negative stuff and still are interested for whatever reasons, yeah, you're probably the type of person they're looking for. Might want to grow some thicker skin for Philly, though.

2. chowdasteak

chowdasteak New Member

Hey, TheHandOfGod...If you are going to get completely bent out of shape about what some dude on a stupid message board says, then you may want to strongly reconsider moving to this town! I am not trying to sound like a jerk. Seriously, don't move here. Honestly, you can take your awards and shove them up your butt. Just because you won a nice little trophy don't think that means you can make it here in Philly. I love this town, but I take a lot of crap from people just going to grab my daily coffee on 15th and Spring Garden Street. Philly is a cool city with some very down to earth people, but there is a harshness to this town that I have not experienced in any other part of the country. I am not trying to put you down. I am sure you are a wonderful writer and have excellent journalistic skills. All I am saying is that if you want to move here, grow much thicker skin.

3. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

If he really had excellent journalistic skills, he would have discerned all he needed to know from the first six replies in this thread.

4. boots

boots New Member

Bullshit. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. Philly is no different than any othere town. Either you know what you're doing or you don't. It's just that simple.
    Good luck kid.

5. chowdasteak

chowdasteak New Member

Boots, thanks for wishing me good luck. I appreciate it. I am not well traveled and you may have more experience than me with different parts of the US. Philly is only the fourth city I have lived in. (The others being Boston, Burlington, VT and San Diego.) Philly is completely different than all those towns I just mentioned. Never did I have a problem in those parts, but just four months in Philly I have seen a lot of crap I have never experienced in my life. Honestly, I would recommend Boston, Burlington, or San Diego to anyone. I don't think just anyone can live in Philly. It takes a certain type of person. Philly is a very underrated city. It's fun, it has lots to offer, and the girls are much hotter and friendlier than Boston chicks, but you and I both know that not just anyone can live here. I agree with you when you say, "either you know what you are doing or you don't." When you say Philly is no different than any other town, that's when I think you are a little off base. IMHO, my thoughts were not BS.

6. boots

boots New Member

In Philly, there's a saying" Act like you know and if you don't know, pretend." If you are a fraud and can't baffle people with bullshit at times, you are exposed. Philly takes no prisoners. But you can make it there. You just have to have God, Good Luck, and desire.

7. chowdasteak

chowdasteak New Member

Great post, Boots. That was excellent insight. I agree with what you said. You forgot one thing, though! Keep your head up walking down JFK Blvd because if you don't you'll get mugged and all your teeth will get knocked out. Stuff like that happens every hour here in Philly. It's rare those events occur in Boston, Burlington (VT) or San Diego.

8. boots

boots New Member

It happens only if you're walking between 21st and 20th Streets. And it doesn't help if you don't walk briskly.

9. TheHandOfGod

TheHandOfGod New Member

Funny ... more assumptions ... tough skin? What's that look like? Do you look all wrinkled or grow armour? Maybe I'll turn into the Incredible Cheeststeak Man. The only reason I responded negatively was because I was looking for some real input; I researched it myself and came up with plenty of answers. I'm certainly not looking to play internet tough guy on this message board, or attack other people. I've lived in D.C. (Southeast part on the corner of MLK Jr. and Malcom X Blvds) and L.A., and I've spent enough time in Philly to know it's no better, no worse than anywhere else I've ever been. Every town has good and bad. And every town can talk itself up or down depending on who you talk to. Peace, love and liberty.

10. TheHandOfGod

TheHandOfGod New Member

... oh yeah, this job really must suck if this thread has turned into what it has ... that's funny.

11. Kable

Kable Member

Mmmm...cheesesteaks. Too bad I can't get a good one around here. :'(

Anyway, good luck, chowdasteak.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Geno's or Pat's, forget which one, won't serve you if you don't speak English, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted