1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Philadelphia (Bulletin), PA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diego Marquez, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Company: The Evening Bulletin
    Position: Sports Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: March 5, 2007
    Job ID: 731782

Description:
    The Bulletin seeks a sports writer to build its growing sports department. Writers will be expected to cover the high school beat in and around Philadelphia. They will be expected to produce at least one story a day (five a week), ranging from game stories and profiles to features and previews. Candidates must be able to write about all sports. They will also be expected to team up with current staff to lay out a daily three-to-four page sports section. Quark experience is a must. InDesign a plus. Daily newspaper experience preferred, including current high school sports writers seeking increased freedom and responsibility. We will consider ambitious recent college grads with experience and top-notch writing skills.

The Bulletin offers the chance to work for a growing, five-day-a-week newspaper in the competitive and high-profile Philadelphia metropolitan area. We are looking to add staff quickly and to make our mark on the Philadelphia scene. Send resume and clips to: C.J. Mittica, Managing Editor, The Bulletin, 1518 Walnut St., Suite 1010, Philadelphia, PA 19102, or email us at editor@thebulletin.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

We had a previous thread on this place a while back and I posted a link to a story about the paper's editor quitting because people weren't freaking getting paid.

3. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Frank,
    Who needs pay when you're cranking out a story a day (might be more once you get there) and laying out pages while working in a top 10 media market?

4. Sinking Ship

Sinking Ship Member

If this paper lasted another 2 years, I'd be surprised. Probably the pay is very low for this job, and who needs the hassle of covering a game, then driving back to Center City Philly and helping to lay out pages? That's how newspapers are trying to save money these days - getting two for the price of one - a writer AND a copy editor. Cheap bastards.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Is this based on inside knowledge?

Apparently it's run by someone who fashions himself as the Richard Mellon Scaife of Philadelphia. If someone's willing to toss cash down the hole repeatedly, who knows how long it'll hang on.

6. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I wonder if that's Bo Scaife ...

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I checked out this place's website. Not at all good. You hit the sports link at the top of the page, and it keeps you on the front.

8. TheHandOfGod

TheHandOfGod New Member

So ... does anyone have any real input on this job? I'd like to know. Thx.

9. Pops

Pops Member

If you're asking, you're probably the guy they're looking for.

Positive is you're in a major market where, if you're any good, you can probably carve out a nice niche and find side stuff to supplement your income. Negative is that might be your only income when Sir Thomas Rice misplaces your paycheck.

The SE was pounding away for the Kenyon College (Ohio) paper a few years back, so don't expect a ton of veteran guidance. But really, it's all about what you're looking for ...

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Anyone know what The Bulletin's distribution is like? I've never seen it anywhere.

11. boots

boots New Member

If you aren't trolling around downtown Philly, you won't see it. The free Metro is distributed better. And that's a rag.

12. TheHandOfGod

TheHandOfGod New Member

Hey Pops ... you shouldn't make such a strong judgement based on my question. The reason I asked for more information about the job is because I'd like to move to Philly to be closer to family who needs my help. I have a great background in writing/editing, which includes numerous writing awards and helping my paper win numerous national awards. Obviously, I don't want to move to a bad situation, which is why I asked for input. But if you don't ask, how do you know? I've found more information in the last day or so proving it's shaky (at best) situation. Saying "if you're asking, you're probably the guy they're looking for," was not very helpful and a strong (and wrong) assumption on your part. If you needed to make a move to help your family, wouldn't you explore all options? That's all I was doing.

Draft saved Draft deleted