1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Pharos-Tribune, Logansport, Ind.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, May 4, 2008.

1. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Company: Pharos-Tribune
    Position:
    Sports writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    June 7, 2008
    Job ID: 842813

Description:
    The Pharos-Tribune, an 11,000 circulation newspaper in northern Indiana, is looking for a sports writer with an eye for the stories our readers care about. We're a community newspaper that specializes in the sorts of stories and photos people clip out and hang on the refrigerator, but we also take seriously our role as the community's watchdog. And we love finding the "Hey, Martha" stories that everyone talks about around the coffee machine at work. Our two-person sports staff covers seven high schools, and it produces a section that has been recognized as one of the best in the state. If you'd like to join our award-winning staff, send a cover letter, a resume and your best six clips to Kelly Hawes, managing editor, 517 E. Broadway, Logansport, IN 46947. The fax number is (574) 732-5070 and the e-mail address is kelly.hawes@pharostribune.com.

2. slatter

slatter Member

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Didn't this place just hire a sports writer a few months back?

I know a new guy came in last September, but I think that was an S.E.

4. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Used to be a three-man staff, but that change may have come a while ago.

Not a bad paper, and circulation, if that 11K number is accurate, seems pretty steady. It was just a bit more than that when I worked there a decade ago, I think. Still some good people who work there.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yep. SE who they hired back in September '07, went back to his old gig.

6. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Bump because the job just got reposted and that makes me a little sad. :(

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=557828

Before my current gig, they asked me if I wanted to come from Washington DC to Logansport to interview. They were understanding when I said that I wanted to see if said current gig was serious about me before trekking 600 miles each way to Indiana.

7. Written Off

Written Off New Member

A good friend of mine had this job a while back. If you're applying for this job, there are some major details that you should know.
    PM me for more information.

8. Death

Death Member

Last time I saw it, the paper seemed to do a pretty good job. Cute little town. Plus the added benefit of being within driving distance of Nead, Indiana Beach and West Lafayette.

Draft saved Draft deleted