1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer part-time Sandy/Gresham, OR

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by flexmaster33, Jan 24, 2010.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Waiting on official word on this, but looks like my shop will be looking for a part-time (32-hour) sports writer to split duties between a couple of our chain's newspapers.

Yes, it's a downsizing move, but might be a good fit for the right person.

More details as I get confirmations on the search...hopefully by mid-week.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hi Sandy!

3. flexmaster33

looking elsewhere for family reasons...so yes.

4. flexmaster33

Sounds like I'll be taking on SE duties for two publications...so while we're stripping this down to a part-time gig...we're also stripping the duties down to strictly writing and some photography.

5. Gator_Hawks

Gator_Hawks Member

I am interested in the position. How can I apply? Feel free to PM me. Thanks.

6. flexmaster33

Sounds like I'll be getting official word about how we'll proceed on Thursday...I'll post more specifics as soon as I know.

7. flexmaster33

To those who have expressed interest...real life has interfered with the process...delaying a definite answer on how we'll proceed until next week. More details as soon as I get the go-ahead.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Don't get your hopes up of working for a well-organized paper This is the busiest time of year for sports and management is dragging their heels?

9. flexmaster33

It was a death in the family...so back off.

Also in the Northwest...winter is the slowest time of year...fewest sports going anyway. But yes, we are nearing playoff time.

10. flexmaster33

All right...we've got confirmation...since it's a part-time spot this posting is not going to journalismjobs.com, so if you're seeing it here you may have an inside track.

The Sandy Post/Gresham Outlook sports department is looking for a part-time writer to put in 32 hours a week covering prep and junior college events in the area. Our main office is located in Gresham -- about 20 minutes east of Portland. We cover 10 area high schools and Mt. Hood Community College. The Outlook is published Wednesdays and Saturdays with night deadlines, the Sandy Post is published Wednesdays with a Monday afternoon deadline.

This position will be called on to provide a variety of stories -- game coverage, features and event previews, and the ability to handle a camera is a plus.

Pay range is in the area of $11.50/hour

This job will be posted to several other Oregon-based want-ad sites by the end of the week, so if you're seeing it here today you're getting it first.

Send writing samples (3-5) to Sports Editor, David Ball via e-mail at dball@theoutlookonline.com.

11. flexmaster33

We are set to interview finalists this coming week

12. flexmaster33

We are excited to welcome Andrew Nemec into our part-time sportswriter role, covering our local prep and junior college beat.

Draft saved Draft deleted