1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Palm Springs, Calif.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by satchmo, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Wisconsin import Mike Fowler got this position, I believe. A real, real nice guy.

Saw him at the Bob Hope two weeks ago. He was doing a story on the first reviews from players on the new Silver Rock course. Needing an amateur's take on it, he asks this silver-haired gentleman about his impressions of the course.

Said distinguished-looking man talks to him about it. Mike asks the man what he does for a living. He said "I own Johnsonville Sausages," then produces a golf ball with the Johnsonville logo.

So we just met Ralph Stayer, the Sausage King of Wisconsin. ;D

And yes, sportsnut. This is a damn good paper for its size. Larry Bohannan's golf coverage is outstanding.

2. Mike's a great guy and an equally great reporter. He's been out there since the fall.

3. turnovers

turnovers Member

How long had Fowler been in Wisc?

4. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to live here.
    Dry, drier, driest.
    And, if it's not the oldest place in America, it's damn close. If you are 50, you are considered "chicken."

That said, if you are a golfer and/or softball player and love to hike the mountains, this is a great place to be.

5. mfowler

mfowler New Member

Ah yes, the Sausage King. Nice guy. Diehard Packers fan. Thanks for the kind words Bird, Victor and nut.

Turnovers, I was in Eau Claire, Wis., for a little more than 15 months at the Leader-Telegram, a paper that gets a bad rap on here from time to time. It was a great experience in a hardworking sports department. I worked with some standup guys there whom I'll be friends with for a long time.

I moved to Palm Springs in September and until recently did nothing but cover prep football for The Desert Sun. Once again, I'm lucky to be in a great department with solid leadership. And to echo Birdscribe, Bohannan is one of the best in the business.

6. Ask Larry to put on his clown nose. Always good for a laugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted