1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Palm Springs, Calif.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by satchmo, Feb 8, 2007.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I will echo what Birdscribe said. Good job.

2. tstmyer

tstmyer New Member

I resigned effective February 23. It is my position that The Desert Sun will be filling. My wife and I have dealt with homesickness over the past year and we are returning to Indiana to be close to our families and God willing start one of our own.

Birdscribe is correct in what he said except for the "ride Larry Bohannan into the ground" part. Bohannan is an excellent golf writer who goes above and beyond on his own free will. I cannot say enough good things about The Desert Sun sports department. Whomever is lucky enough to be hired to fill my position walks into a great situation.

My primary beats were boxing and prep football. I also covered prep soccer by choice. I am a soccer enthusiast. The boxing beat features IBF lightweight champion Julio Diaz, WBC junior welterweight contender Timothy Bradley and some national champion amateurs that train at four clubs spread across the Coachella Valley. As for prep football, we have had one of our teams playing for the CIF-Southern Section title in each of the past three years and five of the past seven.

I doubt there are too many writers out there that have it better than I did here.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Thanks for coming on and clearing that up, Tom. Your replacement will have some tough shoes to fill.

Any nibbles in Indiana?

4. paprbkwrita

paprbkwrita New Member

sounds like too much corporate PR here

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

How does the guy that just left the job letting everyone know what it's about equal corporate PR?

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Not really. It's a Gannett paper, so take that for what it's worth.

Just people speaking about what they know. Not what they don't.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's Gannett's only presence in Southern California after the sellout of San Bernardino eight years ago.

8. 89bat57

89bat57 New Member

Any word on this one?

9. YOU'RE HIRED!!!

10. Pops

Pops Member

Word is it won't be filled. No word on whether your resume pushed it over the edge.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Way to go, 89.

12. Hurricane J

Hurricane J New Member

Part of the problem, and this is kinda true, is that upper management believes that if it can't get a reporter there right now, as in right now, then it might as well wait till the fall to get a reporter. Once March/early April is over the action in the area slows greatly. Sure, there is plenty for everyone do to. But, again, this is an upper management decision and it's Palm Springs, not always the best combination when it comes to making hiring decisions.

Draft saved Draft deleted