1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer/Paginator, Saratoga, N.Y.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by koolbreeze, Nov 14, 2007.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Yes we are.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Just curious, what is the reasoning behind this? Any corollary between this and Jelenic resigning, maybe giving the papers a little more wiggle room regarding profit margins?

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

We are one of the more attractive JRCs. We are in a good market, with good preps, a D3 college right in town (Skidmore) and a D2 (St. Rose) and two D1s (Siena and Albany) about 30 minutes away. There is also RPI in Troy, as well, who has D1 hockey and D3 for the rest of the sports.
    We also have the horse racing during the summer season, but we play attention to it all over the country year-round. (For example, we have had reporters cover the Wood Memorial, the Derby and some of the other big races in the past.)
    The managing editor for the paper is good, but she has to take a lot of crap from the higher ups. I would guess it's like that at lots of different shops, though.
    As a staff, we are really trying to make our section as good as it can be with some redesigns and things of that nature.
    We are also trying to catch up a little more with the Web and how that can be used to supplement the print product. As many on this board and in the industry know, JRC has been slow on the upkeep of how the Web can be used to better the print product, but we are supposed to be getting an entirely new web design fairly soon and training is ongoing to teach reporters and editors the use of video for the site. We also have some reporters, on both sides of the newsroom, that write blogs as well.
    The pay isn't terrific, but it's a nice springboard, IMHO.

And as said previously in this thread, Bob Jelenic is not the CEO anymore, as he stepped down due to his illness.

PM me for details. Seriously. Don't automatically count this job out just because it is a JRC shop.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

As many in the industry know, one of Bob Jelenic's biggest issues is the complete micromanaging of anything and everything. From what I've heard, the new people involved are giving publishers more of an opportunity to lead their own shops, like they should.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Bud, thanks for the insight.

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

No problem. I'm sure I just outed myself, but what the hell? If we can get someone talented to our place, I've done my job.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

don't be fooled. the place still is jrc and still sucks donkey balls.

Draft saved Draft deleted