1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer/Paginator, Saratoga, N.Y.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by koolbreeze, Nov 14, 2007.

1. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

Another one from journalismjobs.com:

We're expanding the staff on this growing sports section. If you love local sports, thrive under pressure and are looking for a great place to live, send us your resume, work samples and three references. We're a daily a.m. in a highly competitive newspaper market. We concentrate on local sports, which in Saratoga runs the gamut from little league to world-class thoroughbred racing. Knowledge about horse racing and ability to paginate are big pluses. Position is primarily writing, with editing and pagination responsibilities as well. We're at the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains, midway between New York City and Montreal. Apply to Sports Editor Brien Bouyea, The Saratogian, 20 Lake Ave., Saratoga Springs 12866 or e-mail letter, resume and references to bbouyea@saratogian.com.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

A JRC paper expanding staff? Let me laugh a bit before I buy this one.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

once again, i had a very good friend who was dumb enough to work at this dive simply so he could be closer to family.

no matter how fresh out of college you are, no matter how broke you are, no matter what drug you just took, no matter how bad you need health care insurance ... do not apply for this "job."

anything is better than working at that place. my boy rebounded rather nicely from this fucking hiccup on his resume, as he should have, but you may not.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I have been told this is one of the "better" JRC papers and that the managing editor is good people.

5. bkrichmond

bkrichmond New Member

Any JRC veterans want to jump in on this one? Too early for a Trentonian reference?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i heard the same, but the ME also has to take orders from above.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

New York's JRC papers are actually ... how do you say it .. pretty good for JRC. And the M.E. is a real pro.

But look at how far it's fallen. Fifteen years ago, circulation was in the 40Ks in the summer, Now, they couldn't even break 10 in the most recent ABC numbers.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

But it doesn't matter, Bob Jelenic would tell you.

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Bob Jelenic no en casa.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I know. But he's the one who created that mess.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bob jelenic no en casa? who are you kidding? bob's proteges will live on at jrc for at least our lifetimes.

bob or no bob, it's still a shithole run by assholes.

12. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Great ME + good paper + good chain = Good job opportunity.

Great ME + good paper + JRC = Not so good job opportunity.

Draft saved Draft deleted