1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer/paginator, New Bern, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by lesboulez, Jul 20, 2006.

1. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

The Sun Journal, a 15,000-circulation daily located in New Bern, NC, is seeking a sports writer/paginator to fill out its three-person staff. New Bern is located approximately 35 miles from the beach, with Raleigh an hour and a half away. We are looking for candidates with strong deadline writing skills, creativity, the ability to step right in and generate stories on and off deadline and paginate using InDesign. We will be increasing the amount of Web-exclusive content produced in the very near future, so experience in that realm is a plus.

Our focus is on six area high schools and community sports, along with full coverage of East Carolina University athletics. The opportunity to cover other college and professional sports is there for the motivated staff member. Recent college graduates are encouraged to apply. We are looking to fill this opening quickly -- high school seasons will be in full swing in a month. To apply, please send resume, cover letter and samples of both writing and layout to Sports Editor Randy Jones, 3200 Wellons Blvd., New Bern, NC 28562. Any questions, please e-mail to rjones@freedomenc.com.

2. Why are there so many openings in North Carolina? They seem to be posted here at least once a week.
    But this job seems far better than the others, because they mention E. Carolina coverage. Covering a major college is a plus to other NC papers posted here, which seem to just cover preps.

3. Remy243

Remy243 New Member

There is plenty of preps coverage in New Bern, but it also provides excellent coverage to East Carolina, occassionally double-staffing games, etc.

If anyone has any questions about the gig, send me a PM and I'll try answer any of your questions.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

There are a lot of papers in North Carolina, and they're spread out across the 400-mile wide state. Lots of colleges, too.

Seems there have been a lot of openings in Georgia and Alabama lately, as well.

5. Translation: Not on our time

6. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

Don't know much about this paper, but do know that this whole part of NC is a rapidly growing area thanks to the urban sprawl near the RDU [Raleigh and Durham] Triangle.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

New Bern is like two hours away from Raleigh, and while I don't know anything about its growth, I would say that if it is growing, it could not be attributed to urban sprawl in the cities of the Research Triangle.

8. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

my mistake on that, for some reason I thought it was a tad closer to the triangle. Shows how much I remember from living in NC.

9. Looks like Greenville is the big city if you're in New Bern. (map quest!) E. Carolina is there, so I guess the nite life wouldn't be bad. And for someone looking to move up and cover D1 sports (and live near the shore), this sounds pretty good.

10. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

There's potential to go to ECU and just blow things up. I chose my words wrong before. Greenville is a solid No. 1. But you have potential to be the No. 2 and scoop No. 1 from time to time, more so if you're willing to bust some ass.

11. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

That's a cold blow on a sister rag, homey

12. and probably every paper from Norfolk to Wilmington. Damn. That's a diss!

Draft saved Draft deleted