1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by thepaprboy, Mar 8, 2007.

1. thepaprboy

thepaprboy New Member

The Daily Pilot in Costa Mesa, Calif. is seeking a sports reporter to work full time as part of a four-person staff.
    Seeking a writer with hustle and eager to improve. The Daily Pilot is going through several changes, with a redesign expected next month. The circulation is 25,000 to 30,000, Monday through Sunday. The newspaper is an insert in the Los Angeles Times, Orange County edition. We're owned by Tribune.
    We have a high readership on our preps coverage. The opening has the reporter covering high schools, in addition to youth sports and other sports including, swimming, crew and volleyball.
    We're hoping to fill the position by the end of the month. Please send clips of 8-10 stories.

Steve Virgen
    Sports Editor
    The Daily Pilot
    1375 Sunflower Ave.
    Costa Mesa, CA 92626
    fax: (714) 966-4668
    ph: (714) 966-4616
    steve.virgen@latimes.com
    www.dailypilot.com

2. boots

boots New Member

This gets the coveted boots seal of approval. Good training ground.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

As what, a town to get your ass kicked in??

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Naaa, more likely it's a town that will be hit by an 8.0 within the next few years. If you can survive that, you can survive anywhere. :)

5. boots

boots New Member

It hasn't reached that level yet. However if you feel it does, by all means go to our valued thread of towns where you can get a good old fashioned ass whipping for free. We feel that Amerikkka needs to know where these places are. LET'S BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Costa Mesa's a nice enough place. Crime rates are fine, it's close to the beach, there's plenty of fun things to do in nearby cities, some good schools in the area, etc. It's also not as pricy as some OC cities.

Of course, I can't imagine you're going to pad your bank account taking a gig like this but for a younger person or someone trying to get into a major market, it could be a nice entry point.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Is this the same opening which was discussed in the last Costa Mesa thread?

And doesn't the "We're owned by Tribune" statement count as a major red flag these days?

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

9. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

If this is anything like the job I applied for last year, it doesn't pay anything...unless about $12 an hour in Orange County is your thing.

10. WSKY

WSKY Member

Monday through Sunday, does that mean a daily?

11. 50 scent

50 scent Member

The name is the DAILY Pilot.... I can tell you what little I know.

PM if you want details, I have a few

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Plus, you've got South Coast Plaza, a shopper's paradise. Can't tell you how many thousands of dollars I wasted wisely spent there.

Draft saved Draft deleted