1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, New Jersey Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by mojo20205, Oct 8, 2009.

1. mojo20205

mojo20205 Member

It's not posted yet, but there will be an opening at the New Jersey Herald in November. It's about 50 miles west of New York City in Sussex County.

It's my old job, so if anyone has any questions, PM me.

Like anything these days it has its ups and downs, but overall it is a decent place to work and you will get to write ---- a lot.

2. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

I know it may go without saying, but I figure I'll ask. The staff has been slashed in the last few years and now each writer is responsible for more and more?

Also, what do you think they will have for work exp. requirements. I'm trying real hard to get out to the NYC area to follow the lady friend.

3. mojo20205

mojo20205 Member

The only thing I did was write and the way it is set up now, I don't see the next guy having to do anything different.

That said, you cover games daily, write notebooks and get to write features at your leisure. Minimal time answering the phones and, really, free reign to be as creative as you please (but that was just me).

This fall, I have covered five games a week with an additional 2-3 stories a week.

There is also a independent league baseball team there, the Sussex Skyhawks, that you may be responsible for (I was for two years).

Also, get ready to drive your tires off.

4. cbo06

cbo06 New Member

How's the pay?

5. mojo20205

mojo20205 Member

From journalismjobs.com:

The New Jersey Herald, of Newton, is seeking a full-time sports reporter whose primary duty will be covering Sussex County high school sports, along with the opportunity to cover the Sussex Skyhawks' Can-Am League baseball team. Candidates must have a passion and knowledge of all sports, be able to generate feature ideas and have the ability to write clearly and concisely under deadline pressure. Experience in copy editing and page design using Quark are major plusses. College degree in English/Journalism, or related experience, required.

The New Jersey Herald is located in northwest New Jersey, about 75 minutes from New York City, and we publish Sunday thru Friday. Competitive salary and a full complement of employee benefits.

Please send a cover letter, resume and clips to Jim Dente, Sports Editor at jdente@njherald.com or mail to New Jersey Herald, P.O. Box 10, 2 Spring Street, Newton, NJ 07860.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Jim is a good guy and a veteran deskman who has a background covering pro beats, including the Yankees in like the late 1970s and early 1980s.

7. mojo20205

mojo20205 Member

Got 50 applications in thus far.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, the Herald got scorched pretty good in this post.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/2613130/

Draft saved Draft deleted