1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer needed...Sebring Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jakewriter82, Mar 20, 2007.

1. zman82

zman82 Member

like I said, a desperate hack!

2. cowherpower

cowherpower New Member

I applied for a position within the paper about 4 1/2 years ago and I thought the experience went very well. The people seemed very friendly and outgoing and I would have taken the offer except I found another paper in Ohio that offered me the same amount of money and benefits so I took that position. I would recommend to anyone at least contacting them and seeing what they have to offer.

3. Money007

Money007 Guest

Notice they say nothing about the size of the staff - meaning you are it. Worked a job like that. Get used to taking photos and notes at the same time. The plus side, I had complete control of my own section and I got experience in just about every facet. But being the only sports guy at a paper is not fun.

4. doctor x

doctor x Member

Was a two-person staff when I was there, but wouldn't surprise me if there's only one FT sports job down there now. Former sports editor is still in area and one of a handful of stringers for them.

In response to earlier reference to 12 Hours of Sebring, the competition from metros isn't what many would think. Race is traditionally first or second Saturday of NCAA hoops. Other than the Tampa Tribune -- which used to have staffers bumping into one another down there just to establish the presence of Mother Trib -- most metros send either one or zero writers.

Draft saved Draft deleted