1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer Needed On Consistent Basis

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by jimmynoles, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmynoles

jimmynoles New Member

Looking for a qualified sports writer that is well rounded in all professional sports including MMA, NASCAR, Golf, and Tennis. We operate two small sports news sites that need content coming in on a daily basis.

We are not looking for someone to attend sporting events and get interviews with athletes. What we're looking for is someone who can watch a game, and write a recap. Or someone who is able to put together some stats, a few quotes, and preview an upcoming game. We release around 16 to 20 articles/previews/recaps per day spanning the various sports listed above. Average article length is around 450 words, give or take 50.

This position can be a 40 hour per week job if desired. We are looking for someone who can write during the afternoon and evening, Eastern Time, and also be able to cover some articles on weekends. Would like to fill this position with one person, but would be open to using a freelance writer that sells by the article.

If you think this is for you, please PM me to talk more about the opening. Thanks in advance.
  2. KMcDill

KMcDill Member

My name is Kent McDill. I am a 30-year veteran sportswriter, nine years with UPI, 19 years at the Daily Herald in Arlington Heights, Ill., the last two years as a freelancer. I covered the Bulls, Bears, White Sox, Cubs and Fire for the Herald (as well as college basketball), spent 11 years with the Jordan-led Bulls, and eight years as the beat writer for the Fire. I was the backup for the other beats. I also covered the major golf tournaments in town, and while with UPI I covered the U.S. Open Clay court tennis tournament back when it was in Indianapolis.

I do NOT know anything about MMA. I have some knowledge on NASCAR (I covered the INdy 500 for six years while in Indianapolis).

I can be reached at KMcDill@aol.com.

Thank you for your consideration.
  3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Notice there was nothing in the description about pay.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They did mention a freelancer "selling by the article," so it sounds like there is some pay. I'm assuming not much.
  5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

We're not looking for journalism of any kind. We expect you to lift quotes from other Web sites and pass them off as your own.
  6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Mike Lupica and Mitch Albom would love this gig.
  7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I guess I understand it, but you guys are such cynical fuckwits sometimes. ::)
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Well, we do get a helluva lot of these ads and most are bunk. This one at least hints at money, so it can stay for now. But jeebus, how many of these sites can one Internet hold? Al Gore's gonna have to build another.
  9. jimmynoles

jimmynoles New Member

Stealing quotes and citing references are two completely different things, I would think someone with at least a G.E.D. would understand that.

Position filled.
  10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How do you get quotes if you don't interview someone? Even if you cite, you're still lifting and stretching fair use. So Jimmy, even someone without a GED would say your operation is based on getting wannabe sports writers to rewrite PR copy.
  11. jimmynoles

jimmynoles New Member

Ok, so what you're saying that when there is a mob of reporters at a press conference, and one of them uses a quote from a question they didn't ask, that's lifting a quote?

Gee, I might as well post exact duplicates of AP articles and just put "source: Associated Press" at the bottom, as so many other major news sites do. That way no one person in particular gets credit, and it eliminates doing any "real" work. Perfect solution!!! :D

We're not the L.A. Times or New York Post, and don't even try to give that illusion. We give credit where credit is due, and we research our own stats, trends, etc... Using a quote, citing the source where the quote came from, combining it with our own analysis, and going after the story from a unique angle is not rewriting, copying, "lifting", or stealing work.

Going word for word, quote for quote, and not citing sources is plain wrong. It is something we would never condone, and any writer of mine caught doing that would be fired on the spot.

Worry about your own job, and quit knocking opportunities out there for people wanting to work.
  12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you're not at the presser, yeah, it's lifting or lazy at best. I don't care if you put said in a press conference. I guess you could put source as AP, but does your site subscribe to it?

Does the site actually cover anything or is it just "couch" journalism? If this doesn't involve actual reporting, it offers little benefit to professional journalists.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.