1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer needed in Northwest New Jersey

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Googlaw, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

Hey Melock, think you could get "The Big Guy" on here to share some stories? No, wait a minute, it would take all night for him to figure out the log-in process. Maybe you could translate his dictation? His stories would be worth the effort ... especially the one about the heat being on during a 90-degree day. That one's priceless!

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

The Big Guy on the Internet? Maybe the Intranet, but not the Internet. I can share those stories too.

It's freezing cold in the winter and hot as hell in the summer. They actually bring in someone to manually turn on/off the heat and A/C and there are specific dates when they do this. And if you work on a weekend you're screwed. Bring a sweatshirt, knit hat and gloves at all times of the year just to be safe. At least that's how it was during my tenure.

3. senior_editor

senior_editor Member

melock speaks the truth. I can provide a few more details. Send me a PM and I'll fill you on what a good friend told me of this place.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Same here. PM me if you want any info.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Shocked, shocked I say by the lack of traffic here.

6. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

Perhaps they already know, melock

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

For their sakes I sure hope so.

8. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Let me chime in here a little.

The paper has had a ridiculous amount of turnover in the last decade, including sports, but for the first time in, oh, probably ever, there's stability in that department because of the guy who started this thread..

It's a strange company, with good people at the very top -- the Oakley family has spent a lot of money on the paper in the last two years, and Bruce Tomlinson, the general manager, is a true professional -- but some weird stuff going on in the middle. But as long as Patrick is in the big chair, he'll be a human shield and insulate you from all the crap that goes on in the rest of the newsroom. Whether it was deliberate or just a byproduct of his style, Patrick made sports its own little island. That's not necessarily ideal in all newsrooms, but it's for the best here. Sports is THE place to work there.

Spnited's and Melock's comments on Sussex County are pretty dead-on. It's not cheap anymore, but it's cheaper than many of the surroundings. And it's a gorgeous place to live.

As for the comment about hot and cold, when the building was renovated -- and seriously, the whole place was gutted -- it meant the old HVAC was blowing too much hot or too much cold in the wrong places. But they were working on that for a while. Last I knew, it was working fine. It's true that they have to wait until a certain time to switch from heat to A/C and back again, but I don't remember being uncomfortable for that reason. And if you're a sports reporter, it's not going to matter. You'll rarely be in the office.

Bottom line: Take a news job at your own risk. But I'd wholly recommend the place for an aspiring sports reporter.

9. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

bump. Are there any updates on this job?

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

You're hired!

Draft saved Draft deleted