1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer needed in Northwest New Jersey

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Googlaw, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

The New Jersey Herald, a 16,000 a.m. daily in Newton, NJ is seeking a sportswriter to help fill out its five-person staff. We're looking for someone hungry to fill their portfolio with the kind of work that'll get you noticed.

We cover 10 high schools, a junior college and an independent league baseball team. We put a major emphasis on feature writing and enterprise work.

The New Jersey is owned by Quincy Newspapers Inc., a privately held company that owns and operates two newspapers, two radio stations and 12 television stations.

The New Jersey Herald is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Send a resume and work samples to Patrick Gurczynski, Sports Editor, New Jersey herald, 2 Spring St., Newton, NJ 07860, or contact by e-mail at pgurczynski@njherald.com.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

A 16K in New Jersey, that covers just 10 high schools, has a five-person staff?

I work at a paper twice that big, with about three times as many high schools, and we have 4 1/2 on staff.

3. Are those five employees full-time workers? What's the breakdown? (IE: four writers, one designer.)

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I would have to think that at least two of those are part-timers.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Who's leaving?

6. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

We have four full-timers right now (three writers and the SE). We're trying to replace one writer (Vern Miller Jr.), and hire a designer. We only print six days a week, so the SE does pages five nights and one of the writers picks up the other night.

We also have a year-round 28-hour part-time position, two 12-hour clerk positions and we load up on the agate clerks again in the fall.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow...I'm surprised at the lack of comments on this one. Usually lots of stuff flies one way or another on an opening in this part of the country. I know nothing about this place, except they seem to have a fairly large group of sports writers for such a small paper.

Anybody have something more substantial to add?

8. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

Oh, there are plenty of stories to tell about this place. Haven't worked there myself, but know plenty of writers who have. Hopefully they'll drop by and liven things up.

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Let the party begin. Who wants to know what?

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

These are starting to sound ominous. Spill! hehe

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Carty nailed most of it except for the living relativelyt econmoically...not any more.
    Sussex County is the next boom area of New Jersey... because it's one of the few Northern counties that still has lots of space. But it's developing fast and prices have jumped quite a bit in the past few years... nowhere near the Bergen-Morris levels, but getting more expensive by the week.

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I second that. A one-bedroom apt. in Sussex County will run you at least 750 or 800 and that's as cheap as it will get. The pay won't be nearly enough to afford living in the area.

Draft saved Draft deleted