1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer- Nacogdoches, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Aug 27, 2013.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Lufkin is also nearby. Day trips to Houston aren't that far -- a couple of hours to the northern suburbs like the Woodlands and there's plenty to do there. About three hours from Dallas.

SFA is a decent FCS football program. Basketball is going to contend to be an NCAA team in a one-bid league in both men's and women's in most years.

To give you an idea of the size of the town, it's a one high school town and I think the high school plays in Class 4A, so it's not even in the highest enrollment class. Of course, there are a bunch of rural schools surrounding it. Lufkin's a bit bigger about 15-20 minutes up the road. Between the two towns, there are about 70k people. From a coverage standpoint, I don't think you worry about Lufkin working for the Nacogdoches paper. But Lufkin usually does have very good football and a lot of prospects.

2. ChipSouza

ChipSouza Member

Kevin Gore is great people. Long time friend of mine from high school and college. Nac is a great starting place for a young journo.

3. ChipSouza

ChipSouza Member

The reporter headed to Longview is replacing Jimmy Carter, who is headed to my staff in NW Arkansas. Carter is replacing Alex Abrams from my staff. Alex was here 7 years and took a job at Oklahoma State.

4. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

It's not every day you can add a Nobel Prize winner to your staff.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The adultery in his heart will be even greater in NW Arkansas.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

One would think that Nacogdoches and Natchitoches would be pronounced similarly, but they're not. The one in Texas is nak-a-DOCH-ez, the one in Louisiana is NAK-a-dish. That's all I've got.

7. BrianGriffin

Every year when the two local colleges -- Stephen F. Austin and Northwestern State -- play football, they play for the giant Indian trophy, Chief Caddo. That means every year, either Natchitoches or Nacogdoches will have a cigar shop sans Indian statue.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

And does anyone pitch a PC fit over it?

9. BrianGriffin

[​IMG]
    Not that I'm aware of. Matter of time, I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Elaine's friend certainly didn't appreciate the Indian.

Draft saved Draft deleted