1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer- Nacogdoches, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1524199

Company: The Daily Sentinel
    Position:
    Seeking sports writer
    Job Status: Not Specified
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    October 1, 2013
    Job ID: 1524199

Description:

The Daily Sentinel in Nacogdoches is seeking a full-time sports writer who is enthusiastic about covering Stephen F. Austin State University, community and area sports in beautiful East Texas. Experience with writing and layout preferred. Knowledge of social media and the web a plus. Founded in 1899, The Daily Sentinel is an award winning, morning paper that publishes seven days a week. Daily circulation is 7,800 and Sunday is 9,000. Benefits include 401K plan, paid vacations and health, dental and optical insurance. The Daily Sentinel is owned by Southern Newspapers, Inc. Send resume and clips to rland@dailysentinel.com. For additional information, applicants can call (936) 564-8361.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I hope this doesn't mean bad news for Kevin Gore...

3. Zads07

Zads07 Member

It's Brandon Ogden, he's leaving for Longview according to his Twitter.

4. SpartanFan

SpartanFan New Member

Anybody know anything about the shop?

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No, but always wondered: Do you pronounce the "g" or don't you?

6. LarryCathey

LarryCathey Member

I don't think so, Xan ... and I believe it's referred to only as "The Nac."

7. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

M-m-m-my Sharona

8. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Knowing how to pronounce it may be question 1 of the interview.
    But more non-Texans struggle with Mexia more than Nacogdoches.

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Say it fast and it doesn't matter.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Nacogdoches and Natchitoches were named after the same tribe of Caddo Indians. One town was settled by the Spanish, the other by the French.

The only times I've ever been there were for SFA football. I couldn't tell you what there is to do in town that's not college-related.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's not all that big of a town. Just happens to have a university with an FCS team.

12. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Whoever gets this gig will work with one of the great characters I've ever met in Kevin Gore. He's like a perfect blend of Texan and sportswriter archetypes from some pulp novel. Not sure what working with him is like, but he's a hoot and a half to talk to. I know they have really early Saturday deadlines, but that's all the details I've got about the shop.

Nacogdoches is the home of Clint Dempsey for any soccerheads out there, so maybe there's a chance to piggyback to greatness with a good feature there. Plus SFA, though Gore does most of that, and Texas HS football. If you don't mind living in a small town it seems like a pretty ideal post-grad landing spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted