1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Moulton, AL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pencil Dick, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Sent to me by a journalism instructor at the Loveliest Village on the Plains. Some of the board members from Bama may know more about it:

The Moulton Advertiser in Lawrence County in northwest Alabama has an immediate opening for a full-time staff writer to primarily cover high school sports and some additional local news and feature assignments. Must have some prior experience and be knowledgeable in Photoshop and InDesign. Must be willing to relocate to the Lawrence County area. Please e-mail inquiries and resumes to teresa@moultonadvertiser.com.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It's owned by the same family that owns the nearby Decatur Daily (and now the TimesDaily in the Shoals). Haven't seen it under this ownership, but I always remembered it as your standard issue small town weekly. Moulton is small and kind of dumpy, your best chances at fun will be in Huntsville, about an hour east, or slightly further away in Birmingham. The main high school (Lawrence County) is usually meh at sports. On the north end of the county, Hazlewood and Courtland had a kickass Class 1A rivalry, and I imagine that has continued in Courtland's current incarnation as R.A. Hubbard.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

don't discount Florence and Muscle Shoals for good times, and there always are the tennessee state line honkey tonks.
    Lawrence county is a dry county, BTW.
    there are good small-school sports in the area, and an up-and-comer could probably catch the Tide or Tigers at home on his own time and dime.
    School consolidation is a hot topic right now, too, in Lawrence County.
    anybody know what happened to the last guy? he wasn't there very long.

4. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Isn't Moulton also the home of the Alabama Chicken & Egg Festival? I mean, how much more entertainment could a person want?

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

"kind of dumpy" is a fucking understatement.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Probably got shot himself shot in one of those state line honky tonks.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

HA!

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

:D

9. Giftedwrita

Giftedwrita New Member

I don't know if this position is still open or not. I haven't been to my native land of Lawrence County in quite sometime. From what I understand, there's been a major shift in personnel there. Many of the folks I grew up with that still live in the area say the paper has gone down dramatically since this "shift of power" has taken place if you will.

The new "editor" if you will....uh, how do I say, umm..not too good.

We've always taken a lot of pride in our paper in Moulton but the word on the street is; well, its a big pile of shit nowadays. No enterprising stories, nothing of substance or style and the photography? I've seen more attractive piles of dung laying in a cow pasture.

As for the last sports editor. Indeed, I noticed he wasn't there very long. Didnt read much of his stuff but from I read and remember the guy, at least in terms of content and quality was above average.

I don't think he set any records but from what I read, he was probably the best writer TMA had. At least the few times I've read it here recently. ;D ;D

10. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i believe that position was filled recently

11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Stockyard Steakhouse, baby! You can pick out your next meal in the stockyard and voila, you've got dinner! BEEF, it's what's for dinner.

12. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i believe the stockyard steakhouse closed. the sale barn is still open, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted