1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer - Moscow-Pullman Daily News (Ida.-Wa.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stitch, Jun 26, 2010.

1. kingkroz1017

kingkroz1017 New Member

I'll put the over/under on resume packages at 47 1/2... Are you taking over or under?

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Over. Especially being July with a lot of new grads out there.

3. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Member

Over. Way over. And no, Trunkmonkey ain't no damn U-Dub Husky. I've covered plenty of games in the Palouse, including the Apple Cup when Bledsoe threw 4 TDs in a blizzard and it took an hour to walk from the parking lot to the press box, because the ice was so thick on the sidewalks. That area is an acquired taste, no doubt about it. On 23k a year, you better be young, single and -- at the most -- have a small car payment. Or you're feasting on PBJ and Kraft mac every frickin' day, and ordering off the dollar menu on special occasions.

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I started at the M-P Daily News some 11 years ago, graduating a semester early from WAZZU to take the job. I wasn't on the sports desk, but I can tell you that 3-man desk worked hard. SE didn't get to write much but was plenty busy and the two reporters were always slammed. There are a lot of sports to cover between the two universities and the often-strong prep teams, couldn't imagine doing all that with just two people.
    One thing I find interesting about the ad is some photo skills preferable. When I was there, reporters (news or sports) didn't take photos, period. There were two FT photogs on staff that did all photos. I know at least one is still there (thanks to facebook), not sure about the other position.
    For whoever gets the job, hopefully the old business editor is still there. Loved chatting with him.

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

As for the cost of living question, IIRC taxes were better in Idaho when I was there, but that could easily have changed in the last 11 years.
    The pay wasn't great when I was there, but find a cheap place and stock up on sales (WinCo always had some dirt cheap stuff when I was there). Plus when I was there, a Subway was just down the street from the paper with Turkey Tuesdays: 2 footlong turkey subs for $6. I'd have one for dinner, then had lunch for the next two days. And no, I didn't eat Ramen. See the WinCo comment. ;D

6. CCaple

CCaple Member

I'll chime in on the money debate, since I accepted this job today.

From what I know about the area--a decent amount, due to friends who go to school there--housing is cheap enough to make a semi-comfortable living on the listed salary.

Yes, kids (I'm among that group) are willing to work for less. But to me, that's not about desperation or a willingness to please. That's life. I'm a believer in working your way up. This is a great job for someone starting out. And when you're in that category, that's all that matters. I understand a seasoned vet not wanting to work for an entry-level salary. But I won't apologize for being an eager kid accepting of the circumstances and simply thrilled to work at my first newspaper.

I'm excited.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

*shhh, nobody tell him, he'll find out in 18 months or so...*

Seriously, though, good luck and congratulations. You've made it further than most grads lately, so go make the most of it.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Did you ask about moving expenses?

9. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

Congrats

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Congrats. Go buy yourself a beer at The Sports Page or the Coug (or at Mingles or the Corner Club in Moscow). Lots of nice folks in Pullman/Moscow.

11. The No. 7

The No. 7 Member

I second the Sports Page. Really chill atmosphere, plus I loved the Tubs Night Thursdays.

12. Zagsfan83

Zagsfan83 Member

Congrats on the hire, man. I'm at the Lewiston Tribune, so we'll be in touch this fall I'm sure. You're working for a great company that takes care of their own. Good people.

Draft saved Draft deleted