1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Montgomery Advertiser

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by slappy4428, Jul 26, 2007.

1. This is true. It's not the sticks. Jackson, Miss. on the other hand, is definitely the sticks. It's a state capitol too, but yikes. I've only been in Montgomery to cover the zoo that is SEC media days, but it seemed like a pretty decent town.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I love me some Gulf Shores and the beaches down there. Haven't been there in years, and I should change that sometime soon.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I was raised very near Montgomery. It's a shithole. Don't live there. Live in Prattville.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

That's what I thought.

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

It doesn't say if it's full time. Just wondering, because the B-ham News has a one zone guy who only work 25-30 hours a week and other zones are supplied by mostly by stringers. 40 hours of zone work seems like a lot.

6. soontobegrad

soontobegrad Guest

Haha I've heard the same thing about Jackson, Miss. What's it like?

It'll soon be time for me to start applying for a job, and I don't know what to think about the South. I have friends who insist I never venture south of the Mason-Dixon line, while other friends say you find the most unbelievably kind people in the South. I guess everybody sees the world differently. I am an Asian male, btw.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

When were SEC Media Days in Montgomery?

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

As an aside, why do people use ``Bubba'' as a generic term for a racist white redneck? The vast majority of people I've met or heard of who go by the name Bubba are black.

Just wondering.

9. credroc

credroc Member

SEC Media Days are in B-ham, now. Can't remember the last time they were in Monty.
    Town's decent, but it oughta be viewed as a sweet tea stop on the way to the ATL.
    By the way, I gotta disagree about Jackson after working among the magnolias for a spell. It's got its perks. Plus, just by how solid the C-L sports section is there, that's a place you gotta look into when spots come available.
    Word is spot's gone in Monty. Anybody back me up on that one?

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

To my recollection, SEC Media Days never have been in Montgomery.

They were at the Sheraton by the civic center, across from the SEC office, in Birmingham for years before moving to Hoover.

As for Montgomery, live in Prattville or east of town.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Living down here is fine. And, no, we won't kill you just because you're Asian. We don't all tote shotguns and fuck our sisters. Good Southern towns are great, and bad ones are bad. Just like anywhere else. Hell, I've seen waay more jacked-up 4-wheel drives in Tacoma/Seattle/Olympia this month as I ever have in the South. I counted four 82 IROC-Zs in two blocks yesterday.

Don't listen to your friends. Unless you want to, that is.

12. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Only listen to your friends if they have informed, balanced opinions and truly care about your well being.

Draft saved Draft deleted